Home created door fly screen.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:53 pm
by Randa france | 12.874 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I've been meaning to fashion something like this for a few years now and have only now got around to it.

We've always relied on a beaded curtain in the past but it has not been very efficient as it blows in the breeze and because it has a vertical drop against an Eriba with a cranked side profile ........

So, first job was to fashion an inner timber frame shaped to the side of the Eriba door frame but flat backed. I used 2 pieces of 3"x 1" planed timber about 4' 3" (door height plus a bit) high for the side cheeks.

First create the final shape needed using some stiff carboard. Also decide on the best place to fix these side cheeks bearing in mind where the Eriba fixed furniture is positioned. I managed to get 2 good fixings lower down on each side of the door frame but one of the side cheeks had to be cut short as it lined up almost exactly with the underside end of a high level shelf unit. I piece of 1" x 1" was used as a top cross piece, screwed to to the top of one side cheek and into the side of the exisiting high level shelf . By leaving the new frame as slender as possible, our exisiting bead curtain still works and touches the flat back of the new frame. Also, make the new frame as tall as possible to avoid the "gentle kiss...". In our case its about 2" above the top of the door frame and only projects by about 1" (hence the 1" x 1" cross piece).

Next, we applied sticky backed velco tape (the fluffy side), to the flat back of the framework and also stapled it for good measure. Notice the "WE" because this is where Mrs R takes over.

Using some Werbung: Magnetic door screen that we had previously purchased from Lidl, Mrs R cut it down to the new door frame size and then added sticky backed velco (rough side) to the top and both sides.

Job done. Not perfect by any means but good enough to repel most buzzy things. The beauty of it is that we can still use our beaded curtain inside the mesh and both the mesh and the beaded curtain can be taken away in seconds.

Here are some pics although i didn't hang about to compose them as it's b*****y nobbling out there. All in all we are very happy with it AND it didn't cost us anything as we had everything in stock

sIMG_6702.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) sIMG_6701.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) 3" x 1" side cheeks.

sIMG_6707.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) sIMG_6709.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) sIMG_6710.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

It looks dark inside because we've still got the cover on the van.

Randa

The following contents have been linked to this post:

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Poptop320, , highmiler and dinky like this post!
Last edited Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:02 pm | Scroll up

RE: Home created door fly screen.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:34 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

Great job Roger the Hymer fly screens are very expensive...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:50 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks John.

I must admit to having not paid much attention to them apart from one that was demonstrated to me way back in 2011 France.

I seem to remember that it was a roller blind action so was a bit of a nuisance if you were popping in and out of the door. Hopefully this one will work OK.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri May 17, 2019 12:22 pm

The door fly screen seems to be working a treat. Very pleased with it so far.

What we like is that it snaps together itself most of the time after we've gone through it.
Randa

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105660 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4