Going to Europe? Two Green Cards Required!

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:40 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

Latest Brexit update email from gov.uk stated:-
4:53pm, 21 March 2019: Clarification that if you are travelling in the EU and EEA with a UK registered caravan or trailer, you will need two Green Cards: one for the towing vehicle, and one for the caravan or trailer.

Since Monday have been trying to obtain a green card for my Eriba 540 (we sail to Bilbao in less than 2 weeks). Car & Eriba are both insured with the Caravan Club and their policy booklet states that they handle all documentation for the caravan policy. Sent them an email quoting the latest gov.uk stipulation re separate green cards, then later spoke with them. "Sorry, we do not issues green cards, you need to talk to the actual insurer (Devitts)". Hmm. Rang Devitts, explained all over again the need for a green card specifically for the caravan. Turns out they do not hold details of C/Club caravan policies! Gave them the car policy no. so they could identify me. Also told them that I already had a green card for the car with the A + F categories (car + trailer), issued by the underwriter, Liverpool & Victoria. Am then told that Devitts only issue green cards for cars and motorhomes, not caravans and that I need to speak with the C/Club. Groan. Went through the gov.uk stipulation again - was eventually put on hold while a team-leader was consulted. Was then able to give them my Eriba's details, chassis no. etc and was told a green card would be posted to me. Received a green card today - only for the car and only category A! Another groan.

This afternoon I rang the Club Ins Dept again, quoting their booklet re documentation. Round & round the houses we go, same response - you need to speak with Devitts. Eventually put through to Devitts - repeat the whole saga yet again - put on hold while consultations with someone up the food-chain take place. Eventually - Eureka - a green card for the Eriba will be posted to me. Phew. Hopefully the correct one this time.

KeithDM
2013 Troll 540 & '15 Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC EX
Emile the (less than perfect but still loveable) Eriba
Scroll up

RE: Going to Europe? Two Green Cards Required!

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Following above I gave Tesco Car Insurance a call. I asked for two Green cards to be told they only issued one for the car and it was down to my caravan insurance provider to issue one for the van.
They lady was very helpful and I suggested that this was at odds with government requirements. I explained I believed the Green Card for the caravan should be issued by the car insurance company as when it was being towed there was a third party liability, if it was the cause of or involved in an accident. She checked and very shortly confirmed I was correct and would send out two Green Cards. Three options for the towed vehicle are available. The first I cannot recall, the second was trailer [I chose this] and the third was other. I did say I believed I needed A + F categories. These should be with me within 5 days.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:32 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Now that's strange Keith because although our Car is not insured with the same company as our Eriba, our car insurers. Liverpool Victoria, issued us with a green card with box 6 filled in stating :- ref. A , F as they state that a caravan is third party insured by the car insurers when on the back of the car.

At the bottom of the green card it has a legend of Category of Vehicles Code :- A is a car, F is a trailer. Therefore one green card covers both.

Randa

Footnote. We have just contacted our caravan insurers, SAGA, and they had not been informed of anything but someone in thier office picked it up on the Government Website yesterday. SAGA are baffled. We are the first to ask about it and, to be doubly sure, they will send us a green card with F on it today if they can find somebody in the office who knows how to do it.

We have already two green cards as Turkey was crossed off the first one issued so we needed to pay an administration fee to get another one at a cost of £23.00.

Footnote on the footnote. During the converstation with SAGA the very helpful bloke on the other end was about to issue us with the green card when his boss said that he has just been notified that A and F is acceptable on the one green card so SAGA will not need to issue a separate one.

I'm thinking that this is another Government balls up and last minute panic. Is this another Chris Grayling'ism? It's all a bl**dy shambles and nobody knows quite what is going on.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:35 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:52 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

Randa - I had no problem some weeks ago in obtaining an 'A + F' green card for the car and thought 'that was that'. The trouble started when I received the gov.uk Brexit update! Anyway, when the green card for the Eriba arrives, I'll report back.

PS - naturally I already have my 1949 and 1968 Convention Int Driving Permits! Brexit - eh? :(

KeithDM

Last edited Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:30 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:06 pm

We are currently awaiting a return phone call from LV having spent the past 30 minutes talking to them. They are also baffled.

An interesting point. When discussing this with the other half, I wonder if the Government think that the caravan isn't third party insured when on the back of the car which is probably the case in the rest of Europe as the caravan has a seperate number plate to the car?

Anyway, if LV says we're OK as we are then we're going. I don't particularly wish to come back anyway

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:39 pm

So, we've just had a missed return call from our car insurers and we are now trying to get back to the person who called us, fat chance of that.

The message left was that although nobody in LV (the insurers) knows what the hell is going on, they have decided to issue us with a second green card anyway.

Our hope now is that they make it out to "F" (trailer) and eligible for Turkey'.

Incidently, according to MCINND, Aviva are still stating that one green card with A and F on it is all that's needed although another member of Facebook who works in the Insurance Industry is saying that two green cards are required.

I have written this in blue as that's the colour of the air in the Randa household at the moment.

Randa

Last edited Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:23 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:16 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

[
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.

Last edited Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:03 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

Second green card arrived today, so that plus two Int Driving Permits mean we at last set to go. 'Emile the Eriba' is now in the drive washed and polished after its winter storage (outdoor), ready for packing to start. Hopefully the Bay of Biscay will be kind to us next week! Brexit-Schmexit - we will arrive in Spain on the 11th, prior to the potential no-deal disaster of the 12th...

KeithDM
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:48 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Just received my green cards from LV. They have sent two, one for car (A) and one for caravan (F) Very good service as only called them on Sunday afternoon.

ps Why is Emile less than perfect ?

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:27 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I called Devitt insurance who are the Caravan & Motorhome club brokers (the policy is actually with an LV subsidiary) and the operative understood exactly what was required, took the Eriba chassis number and confirmed 2 green cards would be issued (one fee £15?).
I reckon all our members who have dragged the insurers through the process should be thanked ‘cos they now seem to be getting to grips with it!😄

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:37 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

Zitat
ps Why is Emile less than perfect ?

Because from new we had a year & a half of repeated trips to A.L. (Poole) due to a catalogue of quality problems! Since then Emile has behaved perfectly (well, almost) and has become much loved. Having gone through the trauma, I declared "I'll never buy another new Eriba!". What's the phrase - "never say never"? Late November we took it in for annual service, my wife sneaked off to look at the 2019 models in the showroom and well, you have probably guessed the outcome...

We return from Spain early June, have a week or so at home to sort things out then head to Poole for the exchange of 540's. :)

KeithDM
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Zitat
Quote Frantone:- I reckon all our members who have dragged the insurers through the process should be thanked ‘cos they now seem to be getting to grips with it!

Still not totally sorted in our case. Spent another 45 minutes on the phone to them today.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:54 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

£15, I'd need a good stiff drink. We've paid nothing. I'm assuming this is because original wording of Insurance policy had a green card wording on the back page

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:28 am
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #13
£15, I'd need a good stiff drink. We've paid nothing. I'm assuming this is because original wording of Insurance policy had a green card wording on the back page

Colin

F.O.C from LV !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Except that LV don't talk Turkey

That's still the hold up for us. We just can't seem to get it throught to them. Yes, we now have a green card for the car and another for the van for Europe ( they arrived this morning) but they have crossed Turkey off again.
Yesterday we spent about an hour talking to a guy at LV (penny for them) to complain that despite all the promises of last week, no new green cards ever came through. We've had a single green card for car and van for Europe and another single green card for car and van for Turkey, for many weeks now but because the Government have decided to issue what is probably an inaccurate statement regarding individual green cards for UK registered cars and seperate ones for caravans, we decided to arrange for new ones.

Yesterday we though we had finally got through to them and the guy in question said he would post them first class but also Email us copies. We knew something was wrong when he Emailed us two green cards, one for the car and one for the Eriba, for Europe only.

Lo and behold, the envelope arrived first class today, which in itself is a surprise, but it only had European green cards in it So, back on the phone this morning, this time it was the Bristol Branch (evidently LV call centre staff operate from several different sites so it's pot luck if you get the same operator twice). The young lady there listened patiently to our problem and we set about discussing it fully for about 45 minutes with her Emailing us copies of our old green cards so that she could see what the problem was.

As promised, she rang back at 12;30 and at the same time sent us an Email with two green cards for Turkey and a promise to refund us £20.00 for all the problems. She also promised to post them to us first class.

We've already got our postman driving to us first in the morning and before the rest of the round should he have an LV letter on board for us. However, we are going with what we've got if nothing more arrives.

Randa

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5