Kampa Pop Air Pro - Weather Strip

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:38 pm
by parsonswench (deleted)

Can you lovely Eriba folk answer this one for me please, once the weather strip is on the van do you leave it on there or re-attach each time you erect the awning?

Scroll up

RE: Kampa Pop Air Pro - Weather Strip

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:29 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

Best of luck getting it to fit. It is a total pain in the arse. I eventually got mine to fit using a hair drier to warm it up, PTFE spray and a blunt knife if memory serves me correctly to open up the groove. the problem is when it is rolled up the groove closes up. I damaged my awning track fitting the strip and left it stuck on with Sikaflex.I subsequently removed it and I do not believe it is fit for purpose. I would advise using the far superior genuine Eriba strip or alternatively, http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/pdf/ETS1395DR.pdf

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:08 pm
by parsonswench (deleted)

Thank you for your reply. Interesting, our Eriba is a bigger learning curve than I thought it was going to be. Bought the strip because it was advised, not sure that we even want to attempt it if it can damage the awning track. Think we may have to purchase one of the others you have suggested. Or is it really necessary? Did you use one of the others you have suggested when you removed the one that was 'not fit for purpose'?

Chris

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:08 pm

On a previous van I used the genuine Hymer/Eriba strip, bought from Jandi in Scotland. On my current van I had the Kampa strip, and it is now in the garage.

There has been some debate as to whether or not the strip does anything. On an Eriba you will always get some wicking, with water on the awning cord running down the outside of the van. The weather strip does help a little, as does soaking the awning cord with a canvas fabric water proofer. Sticking Blu-tak in the awning track at the ends of the awning cord has also been beneficial to some owners. You will not totally stop the issue.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:31 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 14, 2019 11:17 am
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Hi Colin
Thanks for your earlier advice about the Kampa 340 . We have now picked up the awning from the previous owners and I am now contemplating whether to try and fit the (supplied) Kampa weather strip. If I can fit it, I am assuming that I cut the length supplied to fit from drain hole to drain hole?
Also, if it can be done, is it meant to be a permanent fixture?
Thanks
Bob

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 tdi ultra S tronic with a 2005 Triton 420GT
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Bob,
after fighting to fit mine I teased open the bottom edge and used Sikaflex adhesive/mastic/sealant to hold it in place. I left it on permanently for two years but it was starting to move a little so I have now removed it and tidied up my slightly misshapen gutter trackand cleaned the Sikaflex off. I have bought the Seals Direct version to try.

Colin

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 14, 2019 2:33 pm
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Thanks Colin, could you report back please? ,i’m happy to purchase the Seals Direct version if you think it more practical.....
Bob

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 tdi ultra S tronic with a 2005 Triton 420GT
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 14, 2019 3:15 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

I fitted a Kampa weather strip to my Puck the other day. I had heard about the trouble they were and even the salesman suggested I might be about to waste 4 hours of my life.

It came in a size that needed cutting to fit and I laid it flat in a room under a line of heavy books to help flatten it for a couple of days. When I came to fit it I managed to get it all done in less than 10 minutes! I needed an extra hand to hold the loose end whilst I worked from the other end but I didn't find it too much an issue.

The key to getting it fit so quickly is working with the design and not to fight it. I will add photos once I have posted.

You must start with the strip at right angles and not from above. In effect you must rotate it following the natural curve of the plastic gap and metal gutter. Make sure you have it the right way round!

Once the first inch or two was on the edge of the gutter I moved along a little. I did not force it all the way over until about a foot was connected. Then you can continue to rotate the strip onto the gutter and I notice it then clicked into place. I continued along the rest of the strip until it was all on and had clicked into place.

Some areas appeared wavy but it soon straightened out by running my hand along the length making sure all of it was firmly fixed.

This advice was given to me by the guy who sold me a Kampa Air Pro awning. He has had his strip fixed to his Puck for a couple of years with no issues. I intend to do the same.

Weather Strip diagram.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Air Awning Gully Trim.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 14, 2019 4:27 pm

The Seals Direct trim took me about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to fit and I would not leave it on permanently. This is about the same time as the genuine Hymer/Eriba strip I have owned on a previous van that I also removed after use. I would only leave the Kampa on permanently if an adhesive of some time had also been used. I would also check it when pitched. Although a sod to put on, once t starts to come off it comes off easily and that could be at mph on a dual carriageway.

Mr Underhill, the reason your trim possibly fits so well is your Puck rail differs to other Eriba vans. You have also fitted it inside out, if that makes sense, to the images in the brochure.

Colin

mr_underhill likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 14, 2019 4:34 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

Well, it has had at least 2 rainstorms since I purchased it and if it was the wrong way around, it still worked damn well at diverting the water away from the top seam ! I will remember to put the shoulder on the roof side in future.. :)

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.

Last edited Thu May 16, 2019 8:32 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 16, 2019 12:32 am
by Big Al | 223 Posts

[quote="eribaMotters"|p70296

Mr Underhill, the reason your trim possibly fits so well is your Puck rail differs to other Eriba vans. You have also fitted it inside out, if that makes sense, to the images in the brochure.
[/quote]

Was this to Mr Underhill or to my images above? Interesting what you say about the Puck having a different rail. It would be interesting to see what other rails look like compared to my photo.

Mr Underhill: If your Puck is the same as mine I doubt the strip is reversible. I take it you don't keep the strip on all the time.

Alan

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 16, 2019 8:31 am

Absolutely not ! It gets taken off and rolled up loosely and put in my cutlery drawer.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 16, 2019 8:51 am

Sorry Alan, my mistake. I was referring to your photos when I said about the trim being fixed different way around.

Colin

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 16, 2019 8:59 am

Herewith pictures of my roof rail. And the way I put my strip around.

IMG_4020.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
IMG_4021.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 16, 2019 6:03 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Looking at your weather strip it is a totally different version.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12534 topics and 105727 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0