Pop-Top seal modification suggested by Hymer

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:30 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

There's an interesting discussion over on FB Eriba about a pop top seal mod recommended by Hymer.

This involves cutting out 4 bits from the rubber to allow trapped water to drain away.

I can see exactly why they are dping it - I get water trapped under my top. However, I know about it and have my own method of dealing with it that works without physical modification.

Now, it may be that Hymer can argue that this work must be done to maintain a valid warranty, but it does seem odd that the work was done without prior consent of the owner.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to query this if you are taking your van in for service. It may be that not all dealers are doing this - AL are.

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

RE: Pop-Top seal modification suggested by Hymer

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:37 am
by KeithDM (deleted)

When I took our 2013 540 to A.L. for annual service last November, I pointed out to the Service Manager that there was a slight gap under the rubber seal around the front section (the beak) of our pop-top. His response was that the seal is not intended to be water tight and that a gap is needed to avoid a build-up of water under the pop-top, which seemed somewhat contradictory to me. After all, if the seal is water-tight there would be no build-up of water and hence no need to create drainage channels...

KeithDM
2013 Troll 540 & '15 Honda CR-V 2.0 i-VTEC EX
Emile the (less than perfect but still loveable) Eriba
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:57 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

The 'fit' of the pop top against the roof came up in some of the discussion related to replacing the seal recently. It came as a surprise to me that my 'beak' also didn't touch and that the roof seemed quite out of shape. It transpired I wasn't alone in this and it seems to me that the moulding stresses for the pop top leave it far from flat. A suggestion that this might be a 'design feature' seems somewhat far fetched to me...

Mind, in saying that, it doesn't appear to present a problem in any way...

Last edited Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:58 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Has anyone had any further experience of this as part of their annual service?

Asking as mine is due to go in for one in a few days.

~ N

~ 530 and proud
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

My 2017 van was in for service at Lowdhams of Nottingham Feb/march this year. It also had the window rubbers attended to, crazed pop top gel coat fixed and lower front lighting plastic trim replaced under warranty. I do not recall seeing any modification to the pop top trim.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 16, 2019 7:50 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

When I took my 2018 Troll in for its service today, in addition to the regular service stuff, AL said they were doing a Hymer recommended mod to the brakes (something about brake dust build up and squeaks) and also the Hymer recommended mod to the roof seal (4 channels cut in the roof seal) to remove the risk of trapped water. Hopefully they’ll do a neat job.

~ N

~ 530 and proud
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1