LED's Flickering

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:40 pm
by parsonswench (deleted)

Help and information required please from you experienced Eriba Folk.
We have just fitted 2 x 12v strip lights (R V Light) they work perfectly fine on 12v only to find they are flickering like mad when we connect to EHU.
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Chris & John

Scroll up

RE: LED's Flickering

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:43 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

More than likely the 12VAC from the onboard transformer is not fully rectified, older vans used half-wave rectifiers, or the onboard smoothing capacitor is kaput. Some LEDs require a smooth DC supply.

and Pip1136 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Probably the easiest way of avoiding issues with LED retrofits flickering or buzzing is to make sure that the ones you are about to order will run on either AC or DC and cope with a reasonably wide input voltage, typically between 10 and 30V.

LEDs like this will cost a bit more because of the additional components, but it'll avoid giving you a headache and causing all the bees within a hundred yard radius to have an epileptic fit.

and Sportique like this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:34 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks appreciate the reply, do you know if it's possible to rectify this without having to replace lights?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks for your reply much appreciated, unfortunately never realised there was a possibility of having flickering lights until it happened. When will we ever learn to research these things before attempting to do anything, Ha Ha never mind big learning curve. I think we will be taking your advice and purchase as you advise.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:38 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Sportique likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Quote: parsonswench wrote in post #4
Thanks appreciate the reply, do you know if it's possible to rectify this without having to replace lights?
Can you do a link to the ones you bought?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Thanks for your input, the ones that are flickering are strip lights. As the halogens in our spotlights fail we will then replace with LEDs.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 pm

I'm sorry I don't know how to do a link, I've tried but when I tried it myself it went to somewhere totally different.
It's an Ambother RV Light purchased on Amazon sold by Sillkitor priced at £13.78.
According to the box:
Name: 108 LED Lamp Tube
Voltage: 12v--80vDC
Power: 4W current: 300mA
Brightness 500LM
Color Temperature: 6000K
Lamp Number: 108
Service Life 50000 hours,
don't know if this helps you at all. We have an Eriba 'Forever Young' Troll 530 and the year is 2009 one of the last ones built in the French factory apparently.

Chris & John

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 am

Quote: parsonswench wrote in post #9
Voltage: 12v--80vDC
Needing a DC supply only is most likely the problem.

Now this really is a guess, but it's probably the case that your van's lighting circuit is 12V AC rather than 12V DC. Our Troll is about the same age as yours, and its lights run off 12V AC. I had the same flickering issue when I replaced the individual halogen bulbs in the under-locker torpedo lights with LEDs, and this was down to me not checking what the supply was before I bought them, though I had no reason to suspect that it was anything other than 12V DC.

That they were on the cheap side of inexpensive didn't help either. Having learned that lesson, they went in the bin and were replaced with decent ones which could cope with AC as well. They've been fine since.

If you don't want to change them for some which will run on AC as well, you could wire them to a 240V AC - 12V DC adapter instead and plug that into a three-pin socket.

Something like this would do fine.

and Sportique like this post!
Last edited Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Pepe Le Pew thank you, my next question to you is how do you establish if the 12v lighting circuit is AC or DC? This seems to be getting quite complicated for something that really should be so easy.

Thank you once again much appreciated.

Chris & John

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Quote: parsonswench wrote in post #12

Pepe Le Pew thank you, my next question to you is how do you establish if the 12v lighting circuit is AC or DC? This seems to be getting quite complicated for something that really should be so easy.
Electrics? Easy? You've got to be kidding. It's some kind of weird invisible stuff that needs only the tiniest excuse to not go where it's supposed to, disappears completely just when you need it the most and will kill you stone dead if you give it half a chance.

You can check whether you're getting AC or DC with an inexpensive multitester, but I get the feeling that's not an answer you really want to hear.

It sounds rather fatuous to say that doesn't really matter whether your current is alternating or direct as long as the item it's powering can cope with either, but I think that's what I'd be aiming for if I were you.

Good luck.

And don't forget your rubber boots...

Williebraveheart and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:37 pm

We would just like to thank one and all who have had input into this issue of ours, all contributions greatly appreciated. Problem has been solved - thanks to a friend who has more knowledge of electrics than John and I, we purchased an AC/DC Adaptor from Ebay for around £9.00 and it seems to have stopped the flickering. We are hoping it is a permanent fix, so far so good. Pepe Le Pew we donned the rubber boots and all was fine LOL.

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105676 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3