Is it damp?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:16 pm
by ROBMAR (deleted)

Soon after collecting our 2018 Triton 420 GT from Lowdhams, they informed us of the recall concerning "possible" water ingress via the windows. Having found that dealer to be far from satisfactory for various reasons, I was reluctant to make four 160 mile trips back to them on the off chance there was a problem. I therefore got a local mobile service provider to confirm that he thought our van to be a lot better than anything else he'd dealt with. I also acquired a damp detector and obtained satisfactory readings of around 5%.

After spending around 40 happy nights in her, I checked again in October and noticed a reading of 17% in a small area immediately below the bottom LH corner of the NS window alongside the settee. Testing 3" above this on the side of the window, and 6" below it, gave readings of 5/6%. I therefore suspected a problem with the window seal, but can find absolutely no fault with the rubber, or window fit. Indeed when the window is opened after heavy rain, the area around the seals is bone dry, due to the window overlap.

This is a bit of a mystery to me. After 6 months of winter since first noticing the reading, the internal panel looks and feels bone dry but the meter reading has barely changed. We used, and thoroughly heated the van for 3 days in January, and the recent Easter heatwave has made no difference to this stubborn reading. From the outside, the only other possible source of a leak in that area would be the awning rail well up above, but this is well secured and sealed, and there is no internal damp reading behind it.

As I have said, the window rubber seal is perfectly fitted and never shows any indication of wetness. The widow is a good even fit with no gaps (it grips a sheet of paper smoothly when shut against the seal), and overlaps the seal correctly. Is there some mystery component behind the wall panel in this area giving a false reading? Finally, I would have thought that the reading would have increased throughout the long, damp winter months if there was an ingress problem, but regular readings don't indicate this. Although my damp detector is a DIY model, it does give consistent readings elsewhere, and tests on damp timber in the garden only give typical readings of around 12%. Any ideas please?

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105676 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4