RE: Another one regarding noseweight

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 04, 2019 7:46 am
by dbvwt | 45 Posts

“You wouldn't try to inflate a van tyre with a bicycle pump”...... I’ve always used my bike pump to pump up my car, camper and Eriba tyres, it was more accurate than many a petrol station 😀

Back on topic, for some reason I always struggled to get my tiny Puck under 60kg even with minimal extras inside (car rating was 50kg). This was with the wood/scales under the hitch and proper nose weight gauge.
I just got in the habit of load distribution to bring it down in the end.

Last edited Sat May 04, 2019 7:48 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 04, 2019 9:09 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

If the scales are on a flat hard surface they will be correct, and at a few £'s from the likes of IKEA make good sense.
The maths is only needed when using a built in jockey wheel gauge and is very simple. In the case of my Triton the hitch load is 3/4 of what it says on the jockey wheel gauge. After using scales since about 2005 I changed to this method as on a new order the price difference/deal made sense, especially as the wheel is also wide and good on soft ground.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 04, 2019 10:54 am
by DognWheel (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #11
I bought one of these https://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/Kampa-...AyAAEgJV5_D_BwE

I did too, but it only starts at 50kgs and my car tow hitch is 40kgs max. Sigh.

2000 Puck L225 pushing a Peugeot 207SW 1.6HDi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 04, 2019 1:32 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

I swopped my two Calor bottles for a Safefill cylinder and the nose weight on my Triton went from 80Kg to 60Kg

gamrer02 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 04, 2019 2:54 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Lots of interesting ideas - I LIKE this Forum - if I am unable to reduce the "empty" noseweight sufficiently then I shall resort to creative loading, but still no heavy items at the back.

I will keep you posted

Thanks all

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to an Eriba 320GT
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 06, 2019 4:42 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

When ‘challenged’ by noseweight in the past, I’ve always taken the full gas cylinder out and replaced it with a camping gas 907 and appropriate regulator. In the event of the remaining large bottle emptying, I can jury rig a replacement to get me through.. though, tempting fate, I’ve never had to do it yet..

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 06, 2019 4:29 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

In the 552 we often have the opposite problem and find ourselves nose light, so we have gone back to the old Calor heavy bottles.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 06, 2019 4:49 pm

When I had the bikes on the back I used to carry a trolley jack at the back of the sink cupboard in our 552.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 06, 2019 5:54 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Aha - the problem is solved.

Heavy noseweight - 95Kg - when the van is empty.

Of course the van has a Motor Mover - and therefore the spare wheel has been removed. Placing the spare in the back of the van the noseweight comes in at 78Kg which I can live with.

Thanks to all for the suggestions/comments and general chitchat. Maybe one day our paths will cross, I shall look out for other Eribas on the road.

Dave and Taka

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to an Eriba 320GT
campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

It is important when measuring nose weight to match the height of your towbar as well as being 100% level surface. Also measure from where the tow ball fits in the coupling. Varying any of those will change your weight reading.

I only came to find out this when I replaced our jockey with one that incorporates a weight measure. If the jockey wheel points forwards or backwards, or if the Eriba is tilted more or less up at the front, the weight measure changes.

I don’t understand the maths but is all to do with heights and distances from the pivot of the wheels.

~ N

~ 530 and proud

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 14, 2019 9:01 am

Maths made simple, done with made up numbers and distances to work out the moments of force.
Imagine the jockey wheel sitting 2.5m from the axle reading 60kg.
Tow hitch is 3m from the axle.
2.5 x 60 = 150
150 / 3 = 50
That means 60kg at the jockey wheel is the same as 50kg at the hitch.
Think about a playground seesaw with big brother sitting 2.5m away from the pivot point and not quite so smaller brother wants to sit on the other end to balance the seesaw.
Sitting on a level or sloping surface I cannot work out the effect of the slope as the distances are damn near unchanged, what I do know is it must have an effect as if you try and push a van or car up a slope it could be impossible, across a smooth level surface it is easy to move something weighing over a tonne, whilst downhill no effort is required.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 16, 2019 12:42 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

wish I had paid more attention at school in the maths lesson

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 17, 2019 10:28 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

I'll need to get inventive.

First of all there isn't a piece of flat ground/road anywhere near my house.

Secondly the tow ball on my Morris Traveller is lower than the nose weight gauge I have so I guess I'll need to dig a hole for it to stand in...

Last edited Fri May 17, 2019 10:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 23, 2019 8:24 pm
by Valjoneribafan (deleted)

I use a milenco nose weight gauge on our Triton 420 GT, checked it on the roadside before leaving home, caravan fully loaded ready to go, showed nose weight of 75 KG, tows like a dream.,

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0