Another one regarding noseweight

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 02, 2019 11:12 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Van - 1994 320GT, stated noseweight 75kg.

Just checked ours at 95kg and the van is "empty" - I can't find the bag of cement under the gas box, so why? what can I do about this?

I "could" put the awning in the bed box at the rear but then we are building a pendulum ....

The car side is just OK - towball limit is 100kg

Advice please

Thanks

Dave

Eriba 320GT pushing an Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport
Scroll up

RE: Another one regarding noseweight

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 8:11 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Dave,
I know models vary and an end kitchen Eriba is nose heavy, but are you sure about kg, could the reading you have taken be in lbs?
If it was 95kg you would not be able to lift the front end unless you are popeye.
When I collected a new empty Troll 552 some years ago [front kitchen and bathroom] it was near 40kg nosewight.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Fri May 03, 2019 8:12 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 10:06 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Hello Colin,

thanks for your reply.

Yep Kgms for sure. The reason I checked was that I could not lift it - hmm this is heavy methinks! I guess I could lift over 50Kg but not 95.!

Now there are a few bits-n-pieces loaded at the front which I shall remove and then check the effect - but probably no more than 7 or 8 kg. There is also 1 large size gas bottle in the gas box, and, as in my previous post there is nothing loaded in the back.

From what I can read it seems I should be aiming for about 65 -75Kg.

Dave

Edit: PS the van towed extremely well from Bristol to Fife (empty) a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited Fri May 03, 2019 10:09 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 11:34 am
by Randa france | 12.887 Posts

I was thinking it sounded heavy too.

In the previous 9 years of ownership of our Troll I never checked the nose weight and it towed like a dream. However late last year I modified the inside front to take a freezer so thought I'd better see what effect it would have on the nose weight. With everything stowed in the inside front lockers and two camping gaz bottles in the gas locker, I'm still struggling to get a nose weight of 75kg.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 11:43 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

It seems to me that, starting from an empty van, it is reasonably starightforward to increase the noseweight, but how the dickens do you reduce it??

The problem I have is that in terms of the weight at the towball - the car manual says max 100Kg, whereas the plate on the van says 75Kg - I need to get to the lower of these two values - i.e. lose 20kg. Which bit of the van can I saw off?

I shall remove everything I can find and re-check, then update this post.

Dave

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 12:26 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Just a thought, how are you checking the noseweight?
If you rest a piece of timber underneath the hitch and directly onto a pair of bathroom scales you may get a false reading. All depends what the scales are sitting on. If on grass or an uneven surface the reading will be incorrect. The scales need to be on a true and flat surface, A piece of plywood will do.
If you have a gauge on the jockey wheel this is not straight forward. On mine I always have the wheel spun towards the back of the van. A load reading of 80kg equates to a true hitch load of 60kg allowing for calculating the differences in distances to the axle, the centre of the fulcrum.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 12:51 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Zitat
gauge on the jockey wheel

good point. I put bathroom scales under the jockey wheel but then used some maths to extrapolate the weight on the hitch. There is a suprising difference. I use a piece of wood under the hitch method now :)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Fri May 03, 2019 12:51 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 1:09 pm
by Eribacamper | 111 Posts

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #7

Zitat
gauge on the jockey wheel

I use a piece of wood under the hitch method now :)

OK, you got me interested now! How does that work?

Toyota Hilux and Winnie the Troll 550
https://www.instagram.com/eribacamper/?hl=en
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 1:28 pm

Bathroom scales on solid floor under the hitch. Something flat on them to protect them if you like. A length of 2x2 wood or similar resting vertically on the scales. Position the vertical wood under the van hitch and lower the van onto it by winding the kockey wheel down until the wood supports the full weight.

Last edited Fri May 03, 2019 1:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #9
Bathroom scales on solid floor under the hitch. Something flat on them to protect them if you like. A length of 2x2 wood or similar resting vertically on the scales. Position the vertical wood under the van hitch and lower the van

Top tip. thanks

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 3:51 pm
by Randa france | 12.887 Posts

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #11
I bought one of these

A modern stick with integrated weighing thingy. Simple!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 4:51 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Randa - thanks a good find.

Colin - usual method, bathroom scales with length of timber - did my best to get the van level. Ground is lock-bloc so pretty flat however the drive does slope if that is relevant. When the weather warms up and these pesky showers stop I will put the van on a level piece of ground, empty it as much as I can and then check the noseweight.

I am aware that the important thing is to check the noseweight when the van is loaded - but really I must at least get the noseweight down to a sesible value first (~75Kg) - hoping it is my measuring technique that is wanting ?

Thanks for all the suggestions, but the puzzle continues ...

Dave

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 03, 2019 6:54 pm

" the drive does slope if that is relevant"

As long as the van is level it doesn't matter. I suppose the scales should be level as well. This is mathematically speaking, I don't know how much difference it will practically make.

Last edited Fri May 03, 2019 6:57 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 04, 2019 5:50 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Bathroom scales are known to lie. In winter - esp round Xmas but also around Easter - they always show that you are over-weight!!!
You wouldn't try to inflate a van tyre with a bicycle pump so why mess with bits of wood, bathrooms scales and some dodgy arithmetic for what is quite an important road safety calculation.
A proper Milenco calibrated noseweight gauge will cost you just £35 on Amazon.

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1