White Asparagus

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Mon May 27, 2019 10:48 am
by Clippie (deleted)

I don’t know about you but walking through the markets on the continent I often see bunches of thick stalked white asparagus for sale. Only once in all our time visiting France, Spain, Italy and the rest have I ever had it served in a restaurant. That was in a small restaurant next to a small town in Italy where Blueyonder and I had a delightful Risotto Blanco. This was simply made from white onions, white asparagus and white wine and of course Parmesan. This was probably 6 years ago before we got our first Eriba. We were so impressed with it that when we find jars of said asparagus we buy and it has become a standard family dish at home.

Walking through the market at Nérac on Saturday we saw the fresh bunches for sale, and decided to see if we could produce said Risotto Blanco in the Remoska, which I have to say Blueyonder did exceedingly well.

So take 1 onion and slice and place with a little olive oil in the Remoska and start the process.
Then prepare your fresh asparagus, we had half a kilo. ( if you are not use to preparing fresh asparagus hold in the middle and then gentle tweak the end of the stalk. It will offer some resistance and then snap off at a natural place- disgusts the snapped off end which will be quite fibrous) cut asparagus into half inch pieces. Add to Remoska.

Skin and dice 3 gloves of garlic and added to the Remoska

When the asparagus is starting to soften add the risotto rice. (Don’t over do the rice as you don’t want it to take over - about 1/2 a cup)

Let this cook “dry” for about 5 mins then add a vegetable stock cube and season to taste with salt and pepper (white if available)
Added water or white quite wine or a combination of both your preference. Cook as you would a Risotto keeping an eye on the liquid levels.

Once the rice is cooked and you have that creamy risotto consistency serve with Parmesan cheese!

Bon appetite

Clippie

Gofer for |Troll 535 GT & Landrover Discovery Sport.
cabbie37, Markeriba and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

RE: White Asparagus

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Tue May 28, 2019 3:02 pm
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

That sounds really tasty, I’ll try that!. A risotto is always a great one pan meal ...

Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Check it carefully as it's often rather stringy and needs peeling, unlike green asparagus.

cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Do you have a simple one or two pan recipe you would like to share with others? Wed May 29, 2019 2:15 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

You can buy these in jars or tins in Spain, and is as tasty as the fresh IMHO.
I once went to a restaurant in Germany in late June /early July where we had platefuls of these fresh white apparagus just steamed with a butter sauce and Schinken Ham.
The German gentleman who took us insisted we down a shot of Fernet Branca between each course.
I was very tired after that lunch and slept all afternoon!

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105612 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0