Eriba un-hitch problem

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:55 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Here's a new one to me - but maybe not to the Forum?

On returning from our recent few happy days at a site just west of Perth (Scotland) we could not separate the car and van. It seems they liked to stay joined at the umbilical.

We did all the usual disconnections (including releasing the Alko anti-snake etc), jacked down the jockey wheel - and, yes, UP came the rear of the Audi.

Tried many times, reversed car and van, tried again, jumped up and down in the car boot - but nothing.

I have seen this happen before but at that time the van was higher than the car (on a footpath) and after reversing further to put the car at the same level all was OK.

Admittedly in our case both car and van were on a slight downward slope - but they were sitting in line.

Anyway, I don't really know how they came apart - but eventually they separated with no brute force - it seems the "inner front" edge of the hitch was caught beneath the "inside" of the tow ball (only guessing).

Could this be a sign that the Alko friction pads need replacing? Or are there any other suggestions!

It would be embarassing to arrive on site and not be able to un-hitch

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT

Last edited Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:56 am | Scroll up

RE: Eriba un-hitch problem

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 am
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

I've had this happen to me on a few occasions. It has always eventually just cleared itself, as your's did, after a few attempts, but like you, I've never really understood what might be the root cause. As to the pads replacement, I replaced mine a couple of years ago so I'm not sure that could be the cause. It will be interesting to see thoughts of others...

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 am
by Frantone (deleted)

A common cause of this is the Eriba compressing the hitch or stretching it.
The rubber gaiter is a visual clue. The combination needs to be ‘unstressed’ to release easily.

An empty space behind our Ford Galaxy.
cabbie37 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:27 am
by Bryn | 993 Posts

as does the owner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:28 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I put the vans handbrake on and pull the car forward a little to un- compress the hitch. If you get your other half to stand next to the hitch they should see the gaiter extend.
I have also on one occasion in Eriba ownership had an unhitching problem with an Alko 1300 hitch as the had wheel hand been unwound to far. I seem to recall putting a large socket on the opposite side of the coupling around the bolt/fitting and not on the centre (a suitable short length of tube will also do), and giving it a good belt with a large hammer. This freed and reset the pad.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:10 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Yes, we do it every time we stop now. Eriba handbrake on and move the car forward until my co-pilot says stop. Works for us all the time.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:14 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Aha - now we know what to do - thanks to all the suggestions

Eribafolk must be one of the best Forums around - maybe THE best ? Such lovely people - maybe we shall meet somewhere sometime

As I am originally a Devonshire boy living in Fife I am hoping to tour south of the border sometime soon, may spot one or two Eribas

Dave

Captain Calamity likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:38 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Zitat
maybe we shall meet somewhere sometime

Has the forum had a Scotland meet ?

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:19 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Well, funny you should say that, but Hymer Owners Group (HOG) had a meet a couple of weeks ago in Fife - mainly motorhomes of course, one Eriba I believe.

But, hey - we have managed to kidnap the original post

Back to topic.

Dave

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:36 am
by gattim (deleted)

Dave,

Remember the Randa suggestion only works if you (perhaps) reversed onto a pitch thus compressing the hitch. If (like us) you have a slope where you drive uphill and forwards to a stop then the hitch will be extended so you will need to put the ‘van handbrake in and reverse slightly to release the tension in the hitch.

Either way, having a hitch ‘spring’ that is neither compressed nor stretched will help in the unhitching process

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:54 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Hmm - yes, it seems that, depending whether the hitch has been extended or compressed. With the van handbrake on, I may have reverse or pull forward respectively - is that the basics?

Next It'll be a hacksaw job

Dave

Last edited Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

That seems to be the long and short of it.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
cabbie37 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:44 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Quote: gattim wrote in post #10
Dave, If (like us) you have a slope where you drive uphill and forwards to a stop then the hitch will be extended so you will need to put the ‘van handbrake in and reverse slightly to release the tension in the hitch.

We also have a very slight up slope. What I have found is that if you put the van handbrake on and let the car roll back to take the tension off the hitch, the brake can "wind up" and if you have gone to far it's the very devil to let it off again.

Chocking both van wheels and jockey wheel, but leaving the brake off can make it it easier.

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105683 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4