Medication whilst travelling

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:07 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I would be very pleased to read about other Eriba owners’ experiences of organising prescription provisions for extended travelling.
Our GP is reluctant to provide scripts for more than a month at a time.
And what happens if you have medication that is time sensitive or requiring special storage?
Are there customs regulations about importing any meds into France or Spain for example?

Thank you for your contributions😷

An empty space behind our Ford Galaxy.
Scroll up

RE: Medication whilst travelling

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:58 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.329 Posts

I have a 2 month prescription for Statins. When requesting my last prescription I put in a covering note explaining this would run out whilst I was away. They issued me with 2 times 2 month prescriptions.
I also carry a supply of 30mg Codine that would fell a horse. I don't know what the situation is on these abroad but I make sure they stay in the box they are issued in with my name etc on the outside.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.748 Posts

I simply asked my GP for two months at a time prescriptions, Tony, explaining that we were in the habit of going off for a month or more at a time on continental holidays. I now obtain repeat prescriptions every two months. I have never even considered importation regulations as they are prescription drugs that I need to take.

On a couple of occasions, due entirely to stupidity on my part, I have run out of my medicines while on holiday in France. Expecting problems, I went to a pharmacist who happily gave me the drugs I needed without formality when I showed her the empty packets. "You need them. Why shouldn't I give you them?" was her attitude. I had to pay but was able to claim the £18 cost back from the NHS on my return.

On the second occasion there was no drama and the drugs were provided at such a low cost that I didn't bother reclaiming the cost.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:06 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Our Dr tells us that he is allowed to issue a max of 3 months medication [I take heart meds :-Eliquis and Bisoprolol], Bunny and I also take a statin, never has any trouble taking them into any countries. I have been told by people we've met on our travels that you can get prescriptions filled in Spain, though we have never tried.
By timing her online applications carefully Bunny gets about 3.5 months worth.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:07 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Thank you guys. I’ve always managed in the past to get a 2 month statin prescription when I’ve requested it. So I will try for a 3!
Another one is I’ve now got to take a daily eye drop for glaucoma and each small bottle has to be disposed off 4 weeks after opening so I was wondering if anybody had experience of anything similar.

An empty space behind our Ford Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:32 pm
by Randa france | 12.895 Posts

Bloody hell I thought our van rattled with all the pills we take but you lot take the biscuit.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Eribanut likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:09 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.467 Posts

Biscuits don't rattle.
It's an age thing, I didn't take any prescription drugs until I turned 60, now it seems as if I have half the pharmacist's shop in my bathroom cabinet. Mind you I had to see the doctor in Spain last year and the prescription cost about 2 pound, bargain.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Randa france and eribanaut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:14 am
by Randa france | 12.895 Posts

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #7
Biscuits don't rattle.
It's an age thing, I didn't take any prescription drugs until I turned 60, .

And before you were 60?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:21 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

And its not just the pills, there's also the E45 cream for dry skin, still it helps me keep my youthful good looks
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:26 am
by Bryn | 994 Posts

if you are in France we get a 6month prescription but you can go to a French Doctor with your UK prescription and he will issue you the same, the 25 euros consutaion fee and the prescription charge are refunded from the UK, that was our experience

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:19 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.748 Posts

When I needed prescription meds urgently in France (see above) I anticipated much bureaucracy and a compulsory consultation with a GP and was very pleasantly surprised by the pharmacists' pragmatic approach.

My advice would be to try them first if you find yourself in a similar position.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:49 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

I take daily a variety of strong heart medication and am on anti coagulant/blood thinners for life. My GP prescribed 4 months worth once for a long tour of Spain, although the dispensing pharmacist raised her eyebrows and rang the surgery to confirm. The GP gave me a printout from my records of the medication, lest I lost it/some, or got delayed coming home. He said to present it to any GP worldwide if I needed to get more. I have to carry my INR blood test book to get blood thinners anywhere.

Because of the number of prescriptions I have, I have an NHS annual prepayment card but not sure about claiming money back for overseas prescriptions with that - I am not 60 yet!!

2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE pulling a silver 2018 Troll 535 GT
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 51 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12546 topics and 105806 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5