Cobb advice

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:26 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I love cooking but have never got into the BBQ side of this. Away in the van I find the Remoska and Cadac can handle anything, but I'm awaiting a Cobb for home use.
I know the genuine cobbstones are expensive and I've read that some owners use the heat beads as an alternative.
Any comments please, I'm looking at cooking homemade burgers, sausages, veg kebabs and hopefully a small chicken, obviously not all at the same time.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

RE: Cobb advice

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:43 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

Afternoon Colin,

I use Australian heat beads, and get them from Dawsons BBQ World. I buy quite a few bags, and get free delivery. They can last for around 4 hours on the Cobb, and 7-8 beads easily does a three course meal. On Father’s day, I cooked a 2Kg boneless lamb leg joint in 2.5 hours, and it was perfect.
Let me know if you want to borrow a bag to try them, and I’m sure we can sort meeting up.

Cheers Mark

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:45 pm
by Grumpy (deleted)

We've always used the cobblestones, although at times with varying results as they change the recipe!! You wont find any at the moment though as everywhere is out of stock, looking like no supply now until September at the earliest. We recently bought some ZIP coconut shell briquettes - the cobblestones are made from coconut shell. They seem to get nice and hot and last a good amount of time, not used them to cook a roast yet though.

Kia Sportage & 2012 Eriba Triton
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm

I'm getting a box of cobbstones with the cobb, so I'll buy a 4kg bag of the heatbeads, looks about £8 plus p+p and readily available.
Do you need to get anything in particular to light either of these?

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:10 pm
by Grumpy (deleted)

Buy yourself one of these, you wont regret it!! Best lighter I've got, I also own a smaller Turboflame, but this stick one lives in the Cobb.

https://www.turboflame.co.uk/index.php/p.../turbostik.html

Kia Sportage & 2012 Eriba Triton
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:54 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

We had a Cobb for 15 years bit like triggers broom! Its had 3 outer cases as original were of a thermoplastic material which would eventually crack due to the heat. Have now the same as supplied today. We are on our 3rd grill plate as others lost the non stick finish. Saying that we have always used the australian heatbeads as fuel. 7-8 beads will give 3 hours cooking time. You can buy at the Range £6.99bag 4 kilos. My only gripe is they are a bugger to clean. Mrs Nut did buy some liners that go inside the trough but they not that good. Its not a BBQ as such more a charcoal oven but if you leave lid off cooking and flavour the coals its almost the same .

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:01 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #4
I'm getting a box of cobbstones with the cobb, so I'll buy a 4kg bag of the heatbeads, looks about £8 plus p+p and readily available.
Do you need to get anything in particular to light either of these?

Colin

To light we just use a firelighter under the basket. Wait with lid off until the coals go a little grey and firelighter finished. Put lid on and waitanother 15-20minutes until coals have started to go grey then ready to cook. Remember it is an oven so try not to keep lifting the lid as you lose all the heat.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 am

Thanks for the tips Grumpy and Mike. I'll have a go of the gas lighter I know the uncle has and look up my local Range for the heat beads.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 51 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12544 topics and 105801 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5