Diesels with DPF

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:32 pm
by johnnyb44 (deleted)

Hello to all.
I've noticed nowadays that most new diesel cars come with Dual ( oppps diesel ) Particulate Filters fitted. There great when they work but like most modern things these days there a complete headache when they go wrong. For the uniformed these lovely little devises are designed to catch all the nasty horrible black soot that bellows out of your exhaust and trap it in a filter. Eventually this filter will hit a point were it needs regenerating or it will become glogged up. In order for it to regenerate the car needs to be driven for around 30 miles at motorway speeds or by keeping the revs up higher than you would normally do. If the regeneration is not completed the car electronics will try again next time you use the car.The way the car regenerates the dpf is by increasing the engine running temperatures.This in turn burns the trapped soot and carbon off into a less toxic pollutant. The problem with this is that if these cars are used for short journeys or city driving the dpf will become blocked solid sending the car into limp mode. A garage can regenerate your dpf for you and take your hard earned cash in the process. They can only do this a very limited number of times and then its a new one which can cost literally hundreds of pounds. The other alternative is to just simply remove it but from earlier this year its now checked by Mr MOT inspector to see if its present.
Yesterday me and my brother did a forced regeneration session on his fiat diesel with the aid of some computer software. The dpf was only 2 months old and cost him 500 pounds only for the car to go into limp mode yesterday. It was not a pretty sight yesterday doing a forced regeneration. The car sits there for around 20 mins with the engine racing away at around 4000 rpm and plumes of black smoke and glowing cinders of carbon coming out the exhaust.
It really puts me off buying a modern diesel to be honest and i will more than likely go for a petrol. Each year the EU keep capping emissions on diesels to the point there a nightmare to run and own. Car manufactures nowadays cannot make diesels with legendary reliability anymore because of EURO legistration.
One good thing for us Eriba owners is that medium sized petrol cars are up to the job of towing you average puck etc but its a different story for Mr average wobbly box caravan owner.
I think we should count our blessings.
If your still awake after that i applaud you

John

Last edited Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:59 pm | Scroll up

RE: Diesels with DPF

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:43 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Now you've gone and done it John. Brian (Aaron Calder) will be on here soon. This is what happened to me last October. blog-e6930-THE-DREADED-AARON-CALDER-S.html
I'm off to bed....

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:54 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

fiat
Fix It Again Tomorrow
wonder if a journey out up Sutton bank, or Porlock hill, Telegraph hill would save the issue of ear ache of 4000rpm instead raw power (termed used loosely) up hill

hows your new to you car, have you bonded?

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:57 pm
by johnnyb44 (deleted)

Cheers Roger.
I think i will stick with my Rover 75 diesel for as long as i can afford it.
Have a good night my freind

John

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:34 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Here we go again!

Apart from the sheer inconvenience these damned things can cause, the real argument against them is that they increase the emission of harmful microscopic particulate matter (nano particles) that go straight through the filter into the air and when breathed in can pass through the lining of the lungs into the bloodstream.

They also increase emissions of oxides of Nitrogen (Nox) particularly in urban driving and there is currently a great deal of concern in medical circles about the harmful effects that these emissions are already having on children and elderly people in urban areas. Cyclists who wear filter masks to avoid breathing in vehicle pollution are wasting their time as no filter available can remove nano particles from the air.

The recent air pollution warnings were only partly due to Saharan dust; the real danger was diesel engine exhaust emissions. Have a look here.

Imminent EU emission standards will be very difficult for manufacturers of small diesel engines to meet at reasonable cost so in future diesel engines could well be restricted to commercial and industrial applications such as railways, shipping and heavy goods vehicles.

As you have demonstrated, one DPF problem on your car can wipe out years of savings in fuel costs and many DPFs will cost well in excess of £1,000 to replace if they cannot be regenerated by a dealer. What is abundantly clear is that the selling of diesel engined cars as somehow being 'greener' than petrol engined cars is misrepresentation of the facts.

PS: From 2009 ALL new diesel vehicles MUST be fitted with a DPF. It is illegal to remove one and any car originally supplied with a filter that has had it removed will fail the MOT. Some people are knocking the guts out of their filter and having the ECU remapped accordingly but if the MOT tester finds that this has been done, he will fail the car even if it is in all other respects perfect.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu May 01, 2014 10:34 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:53 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Totally agree with you Until about 3 years ago, both myself and my wife have run diesel cars for many years (and loved them). We have now both renewed with petrol cars - certainly not so good for towing- but we think better than having to put up with 'strangled diesel engines' - as you said 'the end is nigh for diesel engined passenger cars. What will the French car industry and French car drivers do ?

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:26 am
by Deeps (deleted)

OK then, Devils Advocates hat on. Anything that remotely affects the motoring industry, especially when your economy is very dependent upon it i.e. Germany and France, will never see the light of day. Rules, regulations and laws will be talked about ad infinitum because what else have these office types to do in their Brussels offices every day, with BMW being a classic example of this. Certain new emission regulations that the EU have had in the planning for many years and were due to come into affect later this year, have been shelved until 2020 as BMW state they would cost too much to implement. No doubt that come that date another excuse will be found because major manufacturers like BMW, Mercedes and Porsche aren't all that keen on investing millions of Euros in research and development in order to produce cars with 300-500PS plus just so that some anonymous office walla sat in a Brussels office and throw it all down the pan.

Like others, I too have driven diesel motors of one description or other for donkey's years with the initial motivation being the longevity of the engine, the then relatively cheap service costs and of course the fact that diesel fuel was cheaper. No thought was given to mileage actually driven in any one period/year because it really didn't matter. At that time diesel motors held their price better than their petrol driven counterparts mainly for the same reasons.

Now of course things have changed considerably. Diesel engined cars are most definitely not cheap any more and in fact generally cost more than their petrol counterparts. Although service intervals can be extended (Long Life Service) the engines have evolved so much over the years that servicing costs are not that much cheaper when compared to petrol - if indeed at all. Living in the heart of the German motoring industry as I do, and with 99.9% of my friends working in the industry, I am reliably informed that longevity should no longer be considered a plus point when considering buying a diesel powered car - petrol engines when looked after will live just as long. Diesel powered cars of yesteryear had cast iron cams like trucks but these have long since been done away with in order to save weight at of course the expense of longevity.

All things being considered, I simply can't understand the reasoning behind the need to purchase a diesel powered car for towing a caravan which at best might cover a couple of thousand miles in a year whilst when outside of the towing season it gets used for the weekly shopping trip with said shops being a couple of miles down the road. Yes, the diesel will have slightly more torque when compared like for like but that in itself is not justification for the buying of a diesel powered car. Instead of the 1.6litre diesel go for the 1.9/2.0litre petrol - job done.

DPF are not perfect by any means but they do the job they were designed for, and do it very well. No doubt, as emission standards/requirements increase these DPF's will also evolve. It could be argued I suppose that the use of these filters increases the nano output but so what, in the absence of having a filtration system capable of absorbing just about everything ever created by mankind, the exhaust output is without doubt a lot cleaner for having them as opposed to not. As with most other technological advances in life consideration must be given on their correct use of devices bearing in mind the purpose for which they were initially designed and not simply paying scant attention on how to look after them.

In short - if you're not piling on the annual mileage and most journey's are short ones down to the shops, then you shouldn't really be driving a diesel. And if you really must have a diesel then learn to live with the DPF, respect it's limitations and allow it to do it's designed job properly by clocking up some miles occasionally.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:34 am

You make many valid points but old diesels without DPF put out sticky, sooty, large particles seen as black smoke that was heavy and soon fell to the ground.

Without this muck to adhere to, the far more dangerous micro particles stay airborne much longer and are more likely to breathed in.

Also, diesels are at their least efficient in urban driving as they don't get hot enough to regenerate filters hence blockages and 'limp mode'

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:58 am

BACKGROUND FOR NEW MEMBERS

In mid-2012 when I was looking to change my 1.8 petrol Astra convertible I naturally looked at a diesel replacement on the grounds of fuel economy and low-end torque for towing. At the time my neighbour had a new Vauxhall diesel that was giving him a lot of trouble with its DPF and after only six months he swapped it for a petrol car. I seldom do anything on impulse, particularly if it involves spending money, so I decided to research the pros and cons of diesel v petrol before making a decision.

I posted on The Eriba Forum asking for advice and comments on diesel v petrol and sparked off what became an informative and at times heated debate. What I learned was that a) everyone wants confirmation that their own particular choice of vehicle was the right one and b) that they generally dislike anyone suggesting that they may have got it wrong. That's human nature.

Because of my particular circumstances (low mileage, distance from dual carriageways and motorways for regeneration trips etc) and not wanting to be spending my driving time constantly monitoring the DPF warning light or making a weekly maintenance trip in low gear, I decided to stick with petrol and bought a 2L turbo Audi that develops a lot of torque low down and gives me 200BHP (more than I'll ever use) to play with. The big bonus is that it also has a full size alloy spare wheel.

The big decider for me, however, was my local VAG independent who pointed to a VW Polo worth about £4,000 that needed a new DPF that was going to cost its owner around £1,000 fitted. He said that 90% of the problems he now has to deal with involve diesels which are "over-complicated and prone to faults" adding that for this reason he would not now own a diesel . That clinched it.

This is why Randa in his blog referred to his DPF warning light as 'the dreaded Aaron Calder light' when he experienced the problem during prolonged urban driving.

Regarding imminent EU Regulation of diesel exhaust emissions, read this.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 01, 2014 9:25 am

Just remembered this AA article on DPFs which explains how DPFs work and potential issues. Worth a read if you already have or are thinking of getting a diesel car.

It's important to remember that although DPFs became compulsory from 2009, many vehicles were fitted with them well before then and some purchasers even specified them as an optional extra before they were a legal requirement.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 01, 2014 9:31 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Is there a PDF I can look at?

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 01, 2014 9:33 am

Hardi har har Touché, M. le Pong

But please find attached, just for you Mr Smartypants, one .pdf file.

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
Diesel particulate filters.pdf Diesel particulate filters.pdf

Forum Administrator

Last edited Thu May 01, 2014 10:42 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 01, 2014 8:25 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I yam sitting here in comfortable splendour at Cae Mawr CC site having dragged Amber here 4 days ago using my late Autumn '09 reg. Kia Cee'd SW auto without DPF. Both Kia and Hyundai held off from fitting them to the very last moment and only early 2010 cars feature them.
Added to that my car was an Approved Used Kia when I purchased it which means its fabled 7 year warranty runs from when I purchased it with 10k miles and 14 months old. So at 8 and a bit years it will still be under warranty and its chain can diesel will still be working fine.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Thu May 01, 2014 8:26 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 01, 2014 8:41 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I know there are problems but I also remember early electronic igniton systems failing but all cars now rely heavily on electronics, it will be the same with diesel, the industry will resolve the issue, some of us will have to pay, so hope its not you

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun May 25, 2014 10:12 am
by crow (deleted)

Like Pete, I use premium diesel most of the time especially as I do a low milage.
I always use it when towing, and get up to 60 and stay there.
Using this method the Co2 readings on my Focus actually came down year on year
at its MOT test.

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3