Towing with parking sensors

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:16 pm
by Herby (deleted)

Some more questions for you, clever peeps.

I'll be towing my Puck with a Seat Altea. I've gone for a detachable tow bar, mostly because I've read that a fixed one can interfere with parking sensors. I've had a quote of £444 from Towbar express to fit it at my house.

Does that sound reasonable? And am I being overcautious? Has anyone else had experience of a fixed tow bar setting the sensors off? The bumper has to be cut to accommodate the tow bar anyway, so appearance wise it's still going to show even when the tow bar is detached.

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Towing with parking sensors

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:44 pm
by Agger (deleted)

.Hi Herby, your stuck with me I'm afraid the others are their Gloucester meet all having a kip after eating all my doughnuts

I tow with a BMW 320d it has an electric retractable towbar and parking sensors I have just lowered the towball and reversed with no problems, the only time my sonar sensors go off is when I am witjin about 4 to 5 foot away from an object. I guess different tow vehicles and tow bar set ups could react differently but I doubt it.

I suspect it will be someone covering their options with regard to being sued if something goes wrong, don't be surprised if it comes with a "may contain nuts" sticker as that is the same type of option covering I'm talking about. Hth

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:21 pm
by Just Trolling (deleted)

I tow with a VW Tiguan, Fixed tow bar, when the van is hitched up with electrics connected it disables the rear sensors, even visually tells you the van is attached when you put it into reverse. No problems…….

540 troll & VW Tiguan
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:56 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

I tow with a Hyundai Santa Fe have fixed towbar and rear parking sensors. Not a problem

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:28 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

I have a detachable tow bar on the Audi which has rear parking sensors but these are turned off by the dedicated electrics that automatically detect when a trailer is attached and modify the stability program (among other things.).

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:21 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #4
I tow with a Hyundai Santa Fe have fixed towbar and rear parking sensors. Not a problem

Same with my Vauxhall Insignia and fixed towbar ...................no problems.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:23 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Likewise with our VW Touran and we even also have one of those bumper protection plates fitted behind the tow ball

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2