RE: Sat Nav

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:36 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.076 Posts

I go wrong with satnavs because I turn off my brain. Its too easy to loose a picture of your route. I have started to jot down road numbers and major towns and use the road signs (yes they exist). The satnav comes into it's own when you get to the town/city containing your destination.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
campnsnooze and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:55 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I think we are similar. For those long caravan trips I print out instructions off viamichelin as they are usually the same as my satnav, stick post-it notes into my big map, adding the page references to the print-out, and then turn the sat-nav on as well.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:37 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.467 Posts

Use paper maps and road signs until we're close then on to sat nav.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:10 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

It makes you wonder how we every survived before Sat Navs and Smart Phones !!!

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:58 pm

We took a lot longer to find those hidden wonderful sites and had many a heated conversation!

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:23 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

My daughter swears by Waze, which is an app on your phone. It updates your route automatically when there is a traffic jam or accident, advises time delays etc.
I'm not sure whether you can set your preferences to caravan towing, but worth investigating as it will be much cheaper than a new Tom Tom or Garmin or whatever.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:29 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

If I remember right, Waze needs an internet connection and you can't specify caravans. It's great for real time updates on traffic jams.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:09 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I remember going to Devon in my old MGB Roadster before the days of sat nav, I wrote my route on a piece of paper and taped it to my glove box. It was a nice warm day so I had the roof down, a couple of hours into the journey it became obvious that I hadn't used enough tape and I watched the directions fly out of the cockpit and down the M6..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Eribanut and mr_underhill like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:36 am
by Derekcbr (deleted)

How much do you intend to pay for a sat nav? I two have a VW and I’ve updated the sat nav with a new card bought from a VW parts supplier for well under £100 far cheaper than a new sat nav and right up to date for all the European countries!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 am

Derek,
with a bit of shopping around you can get full Europe with Lifetime map updates for less than £100, so no more costs. I try not to shop at Halfrauds, but look here:- https://www.halfords.com/technology/sat-...-maps-5-sat-nav

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:07 am
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I still do that now. I tape an index card to the dash with "main" places I should aim for on it...just in case ! But, as my dear old Dad used to say, all roads lead to Rome !

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:09 am

I hope your mum never sent him round the corner to do a bit of shopping.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:57 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Colin you’re a gem! Exactly in my frame of mind and pocket👍

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

A quick trawl of t'internet revealed a variety of VW update CDs/SD cards etc for £25 or less. You just need to take care that the version is correct for your model, and you pay by PayPal - I have done this quite easily on my A3 - the figure Audi wanted was silly.

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:04 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I have a couple of Tom Tom sat Navs as I like their format, however I got an email from TomTom recently saying they are no longer supported with map updates It doesn't make you confident buying their products in the future..

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Your current SatNav is incompatible with TomTom's latest map update
Start 25
Your trusted device will still work perfectly but you will no longer be able to buy any further map update. In case you think it's a good time to consider replacing your TomTom device, please see more information on our latest devices below[/i]

Important information about your device
We update our maps and software frequently. These improvements lead to increases in file size. The trade off is a decrease in available memory space. Given that, some older devices are incompatible with our newest maps and software. You will not be able to renew maps or services.

I HAVE LIFETIME MAPS
Newer devices with Lifetime Maps are not affected. Only a limited number of devices made before 2013 will have trouble supporting new maps and software. To confirm your device's capacity and year of manufacture, you can check both via My Products on the TomTom website.
I HAVE AN ACTIVE SUBSCRIPTION
You will continue to receive updates until your subscription ends.
AFTER THAT, WILL MY DEVICE STILL WORK?
Yes. You will still receive Quick GPS Fixes and MapShare updates. Your device's memory space, however, has a limit. Once that limit is reached, your road and traffic guidance will become less accurate and your device will not work as smoothly as it used to.[i]

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:09 am | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 60 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12544 topics and 105801 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4