Sat Nav

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:41 pm
by Randa france | 12.895 Posts

Up until two years ago, we used our built in sat nav to look after us on our travels. We liked the large screen in the centre of the dashboard and also the directions given on the small information screen between the dials in front of the driver.

However, she (we call her Lavinia coz she's a posh bird) has let us down quite dramatically on our past two trips. This year she caught us up in France when we were on our way back. It's likely to be an aerial fault as although she is very willing she loses direction, particularly in the wet. Yes, easy answer, get her fixed but VW sat nav updates are so expensive it'd be better to invest in a new sat nav with free updates.

So, Garmin v TomTom v Google Mapping on the phone. Currently, we use the mobile phone and Google mapping. The drawback with this is that each day before we set off we have to go online to start up. Sitting in a hot car for a few minutes while Google starts up is a pain. Obviously we previously down load the mapping so that once started, we can switch data roaming off. The other thing I don't like is that I, the driver, is working blind because we don't mount the phone on the dash board as it can overheat. My co-driver keeps it closed, on her lap and opens it up periodically when the directions get challenging.

Have looked at Garmin and TomTom at our local Halfords and pricewise there's nothing in it. Obviously, we want to keep the price down if we can so are not necessarily looking for one that recognises that we are towing.

My initial favourite is a Garmin Drive Smart 55.

What do others use and are we wasting money and we should stick with Google Mapping?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Big Al likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:43 pm | Scroll up

RE: Sat Nav

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:01 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

I'm a Garmin fan, had 2 so far. My current one the Nuvi 65 doesn't have all the extras the Smart 55 has like handsfree. The best price for the 55 seems to be Argos or Halfords. Using the Garmin Express updates is simple enough if you remember.

The main issue is most satnavs are geared for cars. Paying for lorry versions or caravan ones is silly money. When I tow with Matilda I'm more concerned with hills, something missing with most versions.

1997 Puck pushing a 1970 Morris Minor Traveller, sometimes a Pug 3008
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:51 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

We've used this since our Citroen built in satnav started playing up 6 years ago, although more expensive than a std s/n it plans the route taking into consideration the width, height, length, and weight of the outfit.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/524489
available here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-010-0153...h/dp/B00Z06RPFW

or the newer larger and updated version for the same price with the voucher
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-770LMT-D...=gateway&sr=8-3

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:40 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I think it's fair to say we, like your good selves are of the older generation and more likely to prefer satnavs to apps on phones etc.
So then it's generally down to Garmin or Tom-Tom. I don't believe either is specifically better than the other, it's just what you prefer.
I started with Garmin and have stuck with them. Initially it was due to be able to input lat-long co-ordinates which is great in France where postcodes can cover a very large area. I then kept with garmin because of lifetime maps. My newest is marketed as an Avtex Tourer One, which I picked up on Gumtree for about £140 and I like this because of the big screen, campsite directory, length/weight configuration etc.
I think I'm still correct in saying that garmin and viamichelin both use the same mapping system. This is really useful when planning a trip as you should be able to print out what the car will probably tell you. viamichelin allows you to type in detours/via points and the on road times are generally accurate. The two work well together.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:53 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.748 Posts

I've got an ancient Garmin Nuvi 265W that I keep up to date via the Garmin Express app on my PC. I have lifetime map updates - device life, not mine I hasten to add.

However, whenever planning a route I never rely exclusively on the satnav and always use a map and stick to main roads. On too many occasions the sodding thing has tried to take me down narrow lanes simply to cut a corner off a route. I even ended up driving through a vineyard in Burgundy once.

Where they are useful is if you find yourself lost in a city and don't know how to get out. Otherwise, treat with extreme caution, especially when towing.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Randa france, Ribski and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:56 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

One thing you could consider is purchasing an update for your VW satnav via ebay or similar. - clearly you should take steps to ensure you are buying an update suitable for your model, but there are plenty around at reasonable prices.

HTH

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:21 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Hi Randa

I updated my 2012 Skoda satnav with a new disc from Satnavdisc.com
It cost me £25.00 and it took about 75 mins to download in the car.
Easy peezy.
Have a good look on a VW Tiguan owners forum and see what they have to say, you may find an easy fix and then can update.
That £25.00 included all of Europe as well as UK.
Best regards,

Mike.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:12 pm
by Frankenbetty (deleted)

Out of the two separates I’d go TomTom but the new vans at work and my new car both have CarPlay and it really is very good with a choice of free nav apps like Waze and Googlemaps and now supports TomTom as well. so if you’re thinking of a new head unit one that supports CarPlay and Android Auto is worth thinking about.

Lou and Khani with an 07 Triton 430gt pushing a Mitsubishi Outlander di-d4 auto with added poodles bikes and kayaks..
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:56 am
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

We have Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D, which we got from Aldi for about £200. Love the size of the screen and it even has all the ASCI campsites on it. Only downside is, it will still take you down narrow roads, so to overcome that, we have extended the length of the outfit and weight to 22 tonnes!!
Chris

Randa france, mr_underhill, and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:57 am
by ross (deleted)

Copilot on an Android or Apple phone/tablet. There is a truck/caravan version for something like £26 a year and it does seem to notice that some roads are not suitable. I also have a TomTom that I paid a small fortune for and while it is fantastic for a car, not so good when towing, plus it takes for ever to actually start up.

Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:41 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I agree with Ross. We have been using co pilot this year and it hasn't got us lost or taken us down a silly road yet. It's very cheap compared to tomtom....updates are very expensive. Plus, tomtom was forever sending us to silly places.
Co pilot settings are easy and we're set as a campervan so it avoids narrow roads or gives warnings before you set off.
The best things is that you can have a free trial period so you can test it before you pay. It works offline too. The screen is very clear and reassuring when on motorways with complicated junctions.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.

Last edited Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:42 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:07 am
by Biljul | 51 Posts

We use Here WeGo app for Android. It is a free app and allows maps to be downloaded at home for free. It runs offline in the car so does not need data.
A Bonus is the ACSI app interfaces directly with it you just click on the CAR symbol and then Route planner and the route options are displayed. You choose which to follow. You can use filters like No toll roads etc. but it does not make allowance for the caravan so it is sometimes best to zoom into the route display and look at the detail.
Its free why not give it a go?
As for over heating the phone in the car we use a mount clipped to one of the air vents (cool air blown over it ) and occasionally a paper shield form the sun above. Do not use Aluminium foil as it can block the GPS signal.

Triton 420GT and Kia Sportage 2.0 Diesel.
Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:21 pm
by Old Rocker | 497 Posts

We use a Snooper Ventura when we are towing, lifetime map updates UK and Europe

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Don't ask me nothing about nothing, I might just tell you the truth
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:44 pm
by gog2953 (deleted)

Agree re CoPilot. I've used it a couple of times on its free trial, having being sent down an inappropriate lane on our trip to the summer meet by TomTom, and it works well. I tried the run to Lickhill Manor on it and it suggested a much more sensible route, missing out the narrow lane. I'm going to buy it.
Chris

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:05 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

Mrs C will only trust paper maps, usually the ones you buy for £1.99 at the filling station. (If it goes wrong, it will be my fault anyway for any number of reasons). I have used Tom Tom and Co-Pilot both of which have, on occasion, directed me off the motorway via the off ramp and back down again via the immediate on-ramp.
My solution is Tom Tom cross checked with the old fashioned paper job.

Randa france, and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 79 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12544 topics and 105802 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3