RE: Sprung seat base renovations

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:43 pm
by Sulphurman | 82 Posts

The carpet has indeed now gone lol.

Since watching the edition of 'in the factory' regarding mattress manufacturing on the BBC, I realise just how old fashioned in design the sprung bases are! However there are no funds for replacement so they will certainly stay for now. Having said that I think if I were going to change the covers at any point in future I might consider adding a small memory foam type 'topper' to the mix, under the new covers (which would have to be tailored accordingly to allow for the new height).

The original reason for doing this job was merely to try to get rid of the horrible smell that was present. After some weeks since doing the work I'm delighted to report that it was a great success in that respect. The smell inside is now really nice and fresh. I'm so glad I made the effort.

(Verity &) Steve
Esther the Puck and Sharon the Sharan. Esther's Instagram
Doonhamer, and gamrer02 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:54 pm
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

Thanks for that Sulphurman, I do enjoy a good "how to". Having looked at your project I'm sure it's not beyond my skills to replace my cushions & possibly material.

Those of you who converted to foam, where did you source your foam?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:00 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Doonhamer likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:11 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

It is well worth trying to find a local foam supplier if you can. They all offer pretty much the same thing. If you can collect you will save quite a bit on delivery.

Ones I have used, J and A Foam, Blackburn https://www.jandafoam.com/, Jordans, Leamington Spa. https://www.foamcushion.co.uk/ Both very good.

Both recommend RX Reflex foam for combined seating/mattresses rather than a memory foam sandwich.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Doonhamer and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 55 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2