Weight confusion

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:39 am
by Trev Bailey (deleted)

Can anyone clear up my weights on my recently purchased 1978 Puck. I have fitted a fridge and a big leisure battery so wanted to be within the law for towing weights. Took it to the weighbridge when packed up for last weekend. Most heavy stuff packed in the car and it came out at 520kg making me 50kg over what I thought was the maximum weight at 470. Hopefully pictures uploaded of my plates and some I found for the same year Puck on google. Posted to facebook page but inconclusive results. Many thanks. |addpics|qc1-1-f5b4.jpg-invaddpicsinvv,qc1-2-aa18.jpg-invaddpicsinvv,qc1-3-3111.png-invaddpicsinvv,qc1-4-d93e.png-invaddpicsinvv|/addpics|

Scroll up

RE: Weight confusion

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:06 pm
by ross (deleted)

This may help, Weight allowance - wise counsel sought . It does look like it is 470KG. The other plate would seem to be for the axle rather than the van as a whole.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:00 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I agree with Ross. You have to go by what the plate is next to the door. You may find a higher rated plate on the drawbar or axle but these are from the chassis manufacturer and what they believe the axle/chassis could in theory take. Eriba design a body and then buy in a chassis capable of taking a bit extra to be on the safe side. The weight on the plate next to the door is what the body and chassis combination have been tested and registered to. They must not be exceeded.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:08 pm
by Trev Bailey (deleted)

Thanks for the replies. When I took it to the weighbridge it had the battery in which is almost 30kg and the fridge I added which is around 17kg but not loads more stuff as I had put any heavy stuff in the back of the car. Maybe 15 to 20kg of stuff normally left in the van.Calor lite bottle at around 10kg and underslung spare wheel at 7kg. This leaves around 436kg when taken off the weighbridge weight which points more towards the 410 unladen weight one rather than the 320 unladen weight one. I could carry the battery in tha car boot when travelling which would still leave me 20kg above the 470 on the body plate which would mean to get down to that weight I would have to remove everything else and go down to an empty van with a fridge fitted. I carry my food in a 12 volt cool box in the car so not even got the weight of food in the fridge. What I don't understand is why my body plate says 470/470 and not 320/470 as most caravan would with unladen and laden weight. to be under the 470 I would have to carry the spare wheel and possibly gas bottle in the car as well. I carry my bedding, clothes, cadac, chairs and small camping table in the car and don't take the eriba table either. I leave that at home. Seems a bit of a silly situation where I can't put anything in the cupboards in the van without possibly falling foul of VOSA.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:25 pm
by Trev Bailey (deleted)

This one I found on google as sold by Eriba Caravan Sales is virtually identical to mine in year and model is where I found the one with the 410/550 weight specs. I know what my plate says but surely there can't be 90kg weight difference on unladen weight of 2 identical caravans built in the same year. I am not worried about the weight iin the van but don't want to fall foul of VOSA at the roadside. https://www.eribacaravansales.co.uk/eriba-puck-1978-sold/

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:00 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Hi Trev. I'm going to do a bit of asking around to see if any body has a similar problem.

Watch this space.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Williebraveheart and like this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:04 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:20 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Hi Trev.

If you look at this link:- http://forumeribatouring.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=181 you'll see on post number two that there's a 1977 Puck with the same weight listing as yours. Normally this weight is considered for earlier vans that yours.

Christophe Brice (the guy I've been speaking to) was the founder of this French Forum Site and there little he doesn't know about Eribas but he has been foxed by this question before.

Further down the link you'll see where many French Eriba owners have submitted their Chassis numbers and are therefore able to date the year of manufacture.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:10 am
by ross (deleted)

I suspect you can get a very wide variation on the exact same van from the same year. I suspect there are several factors, like the average small car in use in the country at the time, the car the purchaser has (they can ask for it to be uprated), different towing or licence laws in place. My 418 has a max load of 1300kg but thats because I got the standard UK upgrade from AL, normally it is 1000kg but I could have had 1100 or 1200 instead. Re-plating, for most circumstances, would just seem to be a paper exercise as there will be no physical change needed. Maybe Hymer can re-issue a plate with a new weight limit? I'm pretty sure that some firms will do this for a fee, in the back of my mind I have a memory of £100 being charged from one manufacturer but that could be totally wrong.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:56 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

We had ours done by Hymer, I emailed them direct, they sent a new plate by post and it cost €89. They wanted the axle No and weight to check that it could be done.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:46 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Trev,
as a slight aside to the main question. You should also keep an eye on the maximum rear axle load that your car can handle - you seem to be loading lots of items in the car ( and don't forget that the caravan nose weight contributes to the load on the rear axle).

hth

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:36 pm
by Trev Bailey (deleted)

E-mailed Hymer and they have e-mailed back and unfortunately can't update my plate as they have no record of my serial number. They say it is too old.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:42 pm
by Trev Bailey (deleted)

Hi Dave, I am normally one up in my car and with it being a convertible there is not much packing room in the boot if I happen to want the top down especially. I tend to fill the back seat up to minimise the weight in the caravan. If I was 4 up I could easily have 200kg plus in people so very doubtful that I am even half of that in gear. Usually my bedding, clothes, camping chair small cadac and camping table.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:59 pm
by David Robert CUNNINGHAM (deleted)

Hi, I live in France and have a 1993 Puck. The PTAC is important here, mine is 500, so I can legally tow it on my car insurance and not pay motorway tolls. Once you go above that it costs, that is why the older pucks hold their value here.

Randa france and mr_underhill like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:24 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

What is PTAC please ? Does it mean no tolls at all ? Or just the car toll ?

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.

Last edited Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:52 pm
by David Robert CUNNINGHAM (deleted)

Hi PTAC is the max all up weight. I see now in the UK it is:

"Maximum authorised mass
Maximum authorised mass (MAM) means the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road.
This is also known as gross vehicle weight (GVW) or permissible maximum weight.
It will be listed in the owner’s manual and is normally shown on a plate or sticker fitted to the vehicle"

From the Gov. site.

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3