RE: Beware Insurance Cover4Caravans

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:06 pm
by FINNWOODY | 137 Posts

I am insured with Shield Total Insurance (Vantage).They ask for CRIS number or chassis number for my Pan Duo T.Renewal due in September so I will check with them.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:50 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

£15 would be worth paying as it opens up the possibility of insurance providers.
I'm just wondering why you would have to go the imported route and fork out £65. Most of us have bought our vans from a UK dealer.
If you bought a BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi etc from a UK dealer you would not have to declare and register it as an import.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france and Shady Pines like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:49 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

That was more or less the arguement I gave to CRIS in my Email to them. There are now several main dealers for new Hymer/Eriba models in the UK as well as several more who deal specifically with used Eriba models.

Although our van, unlike yours, is definitely an import, it has been in the UK for well over 10 years as we have owned it for that period of time and an immigrant "can apply for UK citizenship by naturalisation after 5 years of residence", so why not an Eriba?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

FINNWOODY, Eribanut, Terryc, Shady Pines and like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 pm
by Terryc | 104 Posts

Got new paperwork from Cover4Caravans all looks ok

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:35 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #12
I have just Emailed CRIS on behalf of all Eriba owners (4000 plus in Eribafolk alone) and asked the question.
Let's see what happens for as you say, £15.00 is OK but £65.00 for no apparent reason, stinks.

Further to the above, I had an interesting phone call with a member of the CRiS team yesterday evening regarding the £65.00 charge for imported caravans. He also promised that he'd get something down in writing and Email me the information ASAP. I will therefore update and amend if necessary, the following information once I receive the Email.

Basically, all UK manufactured caravans since 1992, come with a 17 digit VIN number and that VIN number gives all the information that one would need to find out the make, mark, age etc of that van. (see UK CAMPSITE explanation below).

Therefore, when CRiS was introduced it was based on the above fact. However, vans made in other parts of the World do not necessarily comply with the UK VIn number system. This means that CRiS has to re-register these vans and issue them with an upgraded VIN number kit.

A DIY window etching kit is also supplied to the owner.

CRiS also have to pay for a foreign search to ensure that the van in question does actually exist, is not stolen or mis-represented.

He did mention that new Hobby Caravans imported to the UK do now have a UK and CRiS compliant VIN number issued and fitted by the manufacturer. They are therefore only charged £15.00 to register.

I have taken the liberty of linking and copying an interesting article published by UK CAMPSITE.co.uk a few years ago :- https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=89

CRiS Explained and Decoded
CRiS (the Caravan Registration & Identification Scheme) was established in 1992 by The National Caravan Council and provides a method of registering the ‘keeper’ details of every tourer manufactured by NCC member companies to help prevent and detect caravan related crime.

All new tourers are assigned a unique 17 digit CRiS Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which is die stamped into the chassis, etched onto windows and recorded onto an electronic tag embedded within the bodywork. This VIN and the caravan description are recorded on a Touring Caravan Registration Document, which is sent to the caravan's registered keeper.

As well as helping to recover a stolen caravan in the event of a theft, CRiS provides anyone looking to buy a used tourer with a valuable security check; CRiS can confirm the make and model details registered against a VIN, whether it is stolen or written off, or if any finance is still outstanding on it.
When purchasing a new caravan, your dealer will register the van, and you will receive your CRiS certificate within a few weeks of taking ownership.
If you own or are buying a caravan which is pre 1992, you can now apply for the caravan to be CRiS registered if it is not already.
CRiS Numbers Decoded
You can also use the CRiS number to check some details on the caravan yourself. To help explain what the CRiS number means, take for example the number below:

SGBS000BYA1234567

SGBS000BYA1234567 SG = Manufactured in UK
SGBS000BYA1234567 B = Make of caravan is Bailey
SGBS000BYA1234567 S = Number of axles (S=Single, T=Twin)
SGBS000BYA1234567 000 = Optional manufacturer's data (eg caravan model)
SGBS000BYA1234567 BY = Manufactured by Bailey (see list below)
SGBS000BYA1234567 A = Year of manufacture (A= 2010 - see list below)
SGBS000BYA1234567 1234567 = Caravan serial number

Year of build codes (the caravanning build season runs from 1st September one year to 31st August the following year. So a caravan built between any time between September 1st 2010 and 31st August 2011 would show a build year code “B” for 2011.)
N = 1992
P = 1993
R = 1994
S = 1995
T = 1996
V = 1997 W = 1998
X = 1999
Y = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003 4 = 2004
5 = 2005
6 = 2006
7 = 2007
8 = 2008
9 = 2009 A = 2010
B = 2011
C = 2012
D = 2013
E = 2014

Manufacturer codes
AB = ABI
AD = Adria
AV = Avondale
BE = Bessacarr
BU = Buccaneer
BY = Bailey CL = Carlight
CM = Coachman
CP = Compass
CS = Cosalt
CU = Sprite
EL = Elddis EX = Explorer Group
FL = Fleetwood
LU = Lunar
SW = Swift Group
Don't buy a stolen caravan
When looking at secondhand caravans, the CRiS number is your biggest ally in helping preventing you purchasing a stolen caravan, or buying a caravan with ourstanding finance owed on it.
Look for the CRiS number etched into the windows of the caravan
It will also be stamped somewhere on the chassis.
Ask the seller to see their CRiS document.
Once you have the number, you can telephone CRiS for an check, just like you do when buying a secondhand car. For a small fee, they will check that the caravan make and model matches the details on their register. They will also check to see if it is reported stolen, and whether there is any outstanding monies owed on the van, by the existing owner.
Don't be tempted not to phone them and do a proper check though. It doesn't cost a lot, and could save you a fortune by preventing you from purchasing a stolen van.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:23 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

Interesting. That implies that if I wish to register my 2016 Eriba with them they will create a unique 17 digit VIN number for it.
Yet it already has one allocated by Hymer which also contains much of the same information. Based on the two 2016 Eriba I have owned the numbers are of this format
WHYTRO4106216XXXX
WHY, not sure what this means but I guess it’s Hymer's identifier, HY for Hymer?
TRO, Triton, the Familia was FAM here (can anyone confirm what a Troll is, TRL?)
410, model type, we have a 410, the Familia was 310 here, and it was a 310
62, don’t know what this means but it was the same on both models, possibly a code for UK spec van?
16, model year, 2016
XXXX, unique 4 digit serial number, presumably they make less than 9999 examples of each model in any one year.
Now CRiS want to create a new number of the same format, how confusing will that be?
I think I'll leave registering with them until I absolutely have to.
Also, why do Cris have to pay for a foreign search to establish that a van exists? They can get this confirmation from the importer if they are an approved Hymer dealer such as AL, Lowdham, ALV and Jandi and should have no reason not to trust it.
Jef

Last edited Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:55 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

Just looking at VIN number info on the net and if would seem WHY stands for Germany (W) and Hymer (HY)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:44 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: JefL wrote in post #21
Interesting. That implies that if I wish to register my 2016 Eriba with them they will create a unique 17 digit VIN number for it.

CRiS use the existing Hymer serial number, the £65 charge includes the VIN chip pack which is £35, this will be used by the police to trace the owner in the event it has been stolen. When I mentioned that I had this to the insurance company I got another 5% discount.
https://www.cris.co.uk/vin-chip/

VIN chip
Master Window Label
Gas Bottle Locker Warning Label
1 x RFID Chip
10 tamper evident Window Lozenges
Lint free microfibre cloth

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Randa france and FINNWOODY like this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:48 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:01 am

Quote: JefL wrote in post #21
Yet it already has one allocated by Hymer which also contains much of the same information. Based on the two 2016 Eriba I have owned the numbers are of this format
Jef

Interesting indeed. I might have got the wrong end of the stick when we discussed matters on the phone but his opening gambit was the unique 17 digit VIN number information only found on British manufactured vans. The Hymer VIN number configuration is certainly similar to that on UK vans and according to Pop320 they are able to get it to "fit in" with their system.

Once we have his observations in writing perhaps we'll be able to fathom it out.

Randa

Last edited Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:10 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:48 am
by Frantone (deleted)

So CRiS will generate a registration number for an Eriba with the result that the windows are etched with a different number to the vin plate?

Eriba Troll 540GT (#6) and Galaxy.
Don’t grow up.....it’s a trap!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:51 am

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #25
So CRiS will generate a registration number for an Eriba with the result that the windows are etched with a different number to the vin plate?

With my 2015 Familia they used the existing vin number that Hymer have all ready supplied,

Last edited Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:56 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:11 am

Fyi, if you do go down the CRiS route you will need the information below, to be honest I only did it to have a wider choice of insurance quotes, however in the unlikely event it gets stolen hopefully the VIN kit and the CRiS registration will enable its speedy return.

CRiS Pre 1992/import registration document filled in
Caravan purchase receipt.
Utility bill
Chassis serial number photograph.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:46 am

I think that whatever the final explanation is, Eriba owners will have to pay the £65.00 fee as per the CRiS policy regarding registering foreign vans .

We'll know more once we get the promised Email which I'm hoping will give a full breakdown of the extra costs incurred..

Randa

Last edited Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:27 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

What's the return rate of stolen vans? even with CRIS reg?
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:41 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I've just looked it up, 3%. So is CRIS reg worth while?.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 38 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1