Anyone towing with a VW T-ROC

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:19 pm
by AlanandAndy (deleted)

We recently traded in our Volvo C30 that we felt struggled a bit with our Triton. (To be fair, it was our first towing experience so no real idea what to expect).
It has been replaced with a T-ROC 1.5 turbo.
Any experience of towing with these?

Scroll up

RE: Anyone towing with a VW T-ROC

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:23 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I tow a Troll with a Skoda Karoq 1.5i petrol engine. Same engine. No problem at all. I previously had a Skoda Superb 2.0 diesel towing a Triton. Not much between them.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:05 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.306 Posts

I have the same engine [150hp 250N/m torque] in an Audi A3 and I'm very pleased. It pulls better than my previous tow-car, a 110bhp 250N/m diesel Skoda Yeti which was probably the best car I've owned. The engine pulls well as the power delivery is across a wide rev range. It will hold 6th in cruise control with my 1200kg Triton on the back up most hills. We averaged 32/33 mpg on a near 2,500 mile trip through France in May/June and I've had 37mpg lightly loaded.
Some owners report a kangarooing in 2nd gear with this engine across the VAG group but I've not had any problems.

Colin

ps, if you have the factory fit towbar/electrics then make sure you have feed through to the fridge and caravan battery as this still appears to be an issue across the VAG range.

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:25 pm
by Captain Calamity | 342 Posts

Also thinking about switching to a T-roc. The various outfit matching sites suggest it is a “perfect match” to my Triton 420. I currently tow with a Tiguan Mark 1 which is a breeze and would be interested if anyone has experience of moving from a 2.0 l to a 1.6 l engine.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:24 pm
by AlanandAndy (deleted)

I’m not sure where to get a towbar fitted. I’m worried about the warranty on the car if I don’t go through VAG
I’m no expert on electrics. Is this issue you mention something that can be overcome?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:36 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.074 Posts

I can't imagine a warranty issue of using an independant fitter and you will be sure of the 12v being connected and save a fistfull of money. Not only that, you will get a better and more efficient service from an independant.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:40 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:56 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: AlanandAndy wrote in post #5
I’m not sure where to get a towbar fitted. I’m worried about the warranty on the car if I don’t go through VAG
I’m no expert on electrics. Is this issue you mention something that can be overcome?
I don't know whereabouts you live, but I'd call these people before doing anything else.

They'll give you the best advice regarding fitting and and any warranty implications even if you can't actually use them.

It's interesting that PF Jones make special mention of Audi Q2 fitment in the menu at the bottom of their website; as far as I know the T-Roc and the Q2 share the same platform.

My suspicion - based on personal experience to some degree - is that most VAG dealers know next to bugger all about towbars, and all they'll do is subcontract the fitting to an outfit on the trading estate just round the corner and then add a couple of hundred quid to the invoice for their trouble.

It happens a lot.

FINNWOODY likes this post!
Last edited Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:15 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:45 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Your VAG dealer will go to Buchans near you. They are excellent but you will not save much money. They know what they are doing though.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 63 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105649 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2