Gas cylinders and nose weight

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:22 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Do most people carry 2 6 kg gas bottles ? just looking at keeping nose weight down with having a bike rack on the front. Regarding the Calor lite bottles, it appears there cutting down on them and if you traded a calor lite bottle in you might get a normal one back +the gas in them is the same weight and its just the difference of the actual bottle. flogas do a plastic 10kg bottle which is obviously a light bottle but more weight in gas with being 10kg + its the qtr turn type regulator fitment which is no use unless you change your regulator, flogas actally do a lighweight 5kg one as well.

Last edited Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:26 pm | Scroll up

RE: Gas cylinders and nose weight

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:26 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I have just changed my 3.6kg bottle for the calor lite 6kg one ! As I only cook with gas, it should last a long time 👍

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶

Last edited Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:27 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:16 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

I’ve just dug out a 3.9kg bottle for my reserve bottle. I actually have 4.7kg shell bottle somewhere I think but they have been taken over by flogas I think

Last edited Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:43 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:48 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

I have one Safefill (check you have a local refill facility) and a Calor lite backup. Both just fit in the locker of our Triton. We used to have two standard Calor bottles and the new configuration dropped the nose weight from 80 to 60 kg. Safefill means buying the bottle (£120 ish) but every refill is half the price of a Calor refill. Main benefit for us is that if we are about to go off for an extended trip we just top up the bottle.

monoboard and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:53 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

what size is your Safefill bottle please, 5 kg or 7.5kg

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:17 am

It is the 7.5kg. It sits next to a 6kg Calor lite and the two fit snugly into the locker. I also swapped the original pigtail for a “hand tightened” version as recommended by Safefill

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:43 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

on the pictures I've seen of the Safefill cylinders they have slots/windows in the outer shell. with regards to the gas level, are you guessing the last inch or so in the bottom of the cylinder because the slots don't appear to go to the bottom of the cylinder

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:39 pm

If you loosen the retaining strap and slosh the gas around you can see What is left. However the good thing about a Safefill cylinder is that you only pay for the gas you add, so there is no need to wait till it is close to empty. I do keep a backup Calor Lite in the locker but have never used it.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:51 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Hello Captain,

If you get chance would you mind posting a photo of the Safefill in the locker. I'd like to get one for my 310. I think the locker will be the same size. Also, can you remeber what hand tighten pigtail you bought.

Thanks.

Last edited Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:52 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:30 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

2 3.9 kg cylinders gives a consistent weight of metal with just minor variation with gas use - replacing when one is empty

Freelander 2 trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:00 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Monoboard,
an alternative set up is as shown. I've used this on my last and present van since 2011. The Calorlite serves me well for about 12/16 weeks of summer camping, usually just cooking. The Camingaz can feed the van via the twin outlet fitting on the regulator if I run out [whilst abroad where different gas suppliers operate] I also use the Campigaz for my Cadac. Using this set-up would should help with noseweight reduction, or in my case give you lots of space for those extras such as fire extinguisher, jack, braces, jacking blocks, wheel chocks, ant powder, wasp spray, brake cleaner, bumper protector when hitching etc.

4 - gas locker-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I have a Familia 320 and only have one calor lite bottle as they weigh 10kg when full, the 6kg lite lasts me almost two seasons with cooking and heating approximately 8 weeks. I don't travel abroad so the need for a back up is not a big issue, if I run out the caravan club sites sell gas.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:21 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

My 4.5kg Butane last us approx 18 days just for cooking. Oh yes and the fridge - maybe it's all the cold beers.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:32 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:28 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #11
...wasp spray...
Don't kill wasps. Wasps are good guys. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:40 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #14
Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #11
...wasp spray...
Don't kill wasps. Wasps are good guys. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.

Aye right!

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0