pop top fly screen cleaning

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:48 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Before I rush into this and subsequently regret it, can someone let me know their experience of cleaning/washing the pop top fly screen please. It has some grubbiness, particularly above the cooker area, plus some other random stains as well. Would a gentle wash in the washing machine with conventional detergent be ok?

Scroll up

RE: pop top fly screen cleaning

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:21 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

When we had the puck it had a full net curtain round the edge, we used a net curtain whitner.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dylon-Renovator...ps%2C167&sr=8-5

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:34 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

So a gentle machine wash would be fine then?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:51 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

If I remember rightly they were hand washed.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
FINNWOODY likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:58 pm
by FINNWOODY | 137 Posts

I agree with you PopTop.In my "working days" I processed textiles and I think that this fabric would snag and have a velcro effect.Better to hand wash.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:38 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Bunny has always just used a normal 60c wash, once a year, they still seem to be OK.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:30 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

If they're just net curtains, washing machine.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:50 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Well, my goodness, what a difference!! I've owned the van 4 (?) years now and have never washed the netting before. Who knows when it was last done. I gave it a standard wash at 30c along with another couple of items to try and prevent it ending up in a confused lump. The difference is startling. I had always thought the 'light' coming through the pop to was down to the grey material of the pop top itself. Not so!

Refitting was straightforward, though a litle bit of a fiddle. At first I kept the material taught as I ran the velcro attachment round the roof. That left me with some 6 or 7 inches of excess material. i realised that I had made the corners too tight and refitted it, this time with some 'ruffling' of the netting as it went round each corner. That resolved it perfectly. The only real fiddly bit is easing back the toilet pop up 'modesty cover' into the tracks it sits in after having pulled it back to allow the removal of the netting. Getting that back is not difficult but it does take a little time, easing it back in, creating slack at the 'trailing' edge and then taking it up at the 'leading' edge.

Paying this much close attention lead me to realise that I had a small infestation of fly like creatures, about 1/4 the size of a normal fly. I've been going round with my new Dyson V7 with a short nozzle every now and then and gradually eliminated them. Where they have come from, goodness only knows. What they live on that allows them to breed, I have no idea, but I will make sure they are all gone before it goes back into storage..

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:54 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Zitat
Quote Cabbie 37 :- Paying this much close attention lead me to realise that I had a small infestation of fly like creatures, about 1/4 the size of a normal fly. I've been going round with my new Dyson V7 with a short nozzle every now and then and gradually eliminated them. Where they have come from, goodness only knows. What they live on that allows them to breed, I have no idea, but I will make sure they are all gone before it goes back into storage..

No flies on you Hugh

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

cabbie37 likes this post!
Last edited Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:55 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

PS - thanks for all the replies and advice...

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3