Where to attach a Winch?

in We've got it down to a T Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:30 pm
by BobEales (deleted)

Hi

I'm a new member and new to caravaning this year. We bought our Eriba Troll 540 this year (2019 model) and are thinking about storing it in the garage over winter. There is just enough clearance to get it through the door (about 30cm each side and 10cm above) but don't fancy reversing it in and damage it. The ground is flat(ish) but is covered with pea shingle so pushing it in under control would be hard

I was thinking of getting a hand winch to reverse it the last 30 ft but don't know if there is anywhere on the axle that would be strong enough to take the strain, however there are 3 holes visible in the middle underneath of the axle.

Any ideas or experience of doing this would be appreciated

Thanks Bob

Scroll up

RE: Where to attach a Winch?

in We've got it down to a T Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:12 pm
by granddadgrape | 1.558 Posts

Hello Bob. Sounds like you should have a motor mover fitted.

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

For two years I winched our Troll into the garage with only a finger thickness of clearance either side and above. I taped a length of inner tube around the axle and wrapped the winch cable around this.
I now use a motor mover. If you can stretch to one then do so. You will not regret it!

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

You have got me thinking, how do you get the motor mover off the tyres if it is a tight fit in the garage? Is it an auto engage and remove via the remote control as a winding handle won't fit once it's inside the garage?

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

The clearance I had was on the door frame. When in the garage I had the 2.0m Eriba sitting in a 3.0m garage width.

The idea of auto engage is not one for me. They are more expensive and one more thing to go wrong. I've heard of only a few problems with movers and two of these involved auto engage movers locking on. I witnessed what had been happy holiday makers jacking up vans whilst on site and part removing the locked movers.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105683 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1