Do Eribas really need 2 wheels

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:11 pm
by Old Rocker | 496 Posts

Well that was an interesting journey back from Cornwall. Having stopped at Exeter services to pick up food off we merrily went North on the M5. Sat in the inside lane thankfully sticking to the speed limit we heard a loud POP and the van began to wobble
Bugger we've got a puncture says I pulling on to the hard shoulder and slowing down. By now we've got smoke and a few sparks and an increased wobble. Coming to a halt I decided to ring the breakdown from inside the car, after numerous questions about the car and repeatedly telling the young lady it was the caravan that had a puncture she finally asked so what is wrong with your car. Yet again I explained it was the caravan that had a puncture. Oh I'll get someone out to you and put it down as a priority. At last.
We prepared to get out of the car and over the crash barrier at which point Helen says why is the wheel 10 yards behind the caravan?
It turned out that the POP was in fact the hub that the wheel screws into, had come away taking the wheel with it. It looks like the motor mover has taken the brunt of the damage and possibly prevented serious damage to the underside
A quick call back to breakdown, a different lady and the puncture was amended to lost wheel. Credit to the recovery they were with us within 45 mins, the driver looked amazed and exclaimed how the heck has that happened when he saw the wheel complete with hub
He called for re-enforcements and he and his colleague fitted a "skate" In place of the missing wheel to enable loading onto the truck
A quick run up to Cullompton Services to enable us to retrieve our personals we waved it goodbye to be held in a secure yard until the Insurers let them know what to do
Question now is does anyone know of a supplier other than Hymer for the plastic wheel arch and the plastic triangular rear light holder otherwise I seeus having rather a long wait if they ordered from Humer20190914_133612.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20190914_134042.jpg 
 20190914_134829.jpg 

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Don't ask me nothing about nothing, I might just tell you the truth

Last edited Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:14 pm | Scroll up

RE: Do Eribas really need 2 wheels

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:30 pm
by IainG | 31 Posts

That is absolutely shocking! I've never seen or heard of that before. I'll bet you Alko would like to hear about this. Just glad you weren't hurt and did not 'total' the van.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Bloody hell, Mick! Thank goodness you and your dear lady escaped unscathed from what could have been a very serious RTA.

Keep us informed of progress and best wishes to you both.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

What recovery company did you use. Sounds like they deserve some credit.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:39 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Thankfully no one was hurt.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:44 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

How horrible for you both. I hope they can fix it soon.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:32 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

So sorry to read this Mick. Very frightening indeed and until such time as you get a reasonable explaination as to how it happened, it's bound to leave you feeling uneasy. It has us.

R and A

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks everyone. the recovery was through Mayday the Caravan Clubs breakdown service and a company called Highfields Garage and Recovery did the pick up. Sent my Insurance claim off yesterday and received a letter this morning from Devitts, again Caravan Club Insurance, telling me they had passed it on to some other company to sort out. Will keep you posted

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:39 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Looks to me like a bearing failure causing a severe grab on the hub in turn shearing off the brake drum part of the casting in what appears to be a fairly clean shear.
Nasty. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:55 pm

My goodness but is an Insurance claim long winded or what?
Nearly 4 weeks in with regular weekly requests for updates, and the van has finally been assessed by the Engineer. Phone call from him saying he's never seen anything like it, the hub has sheared on the retaining ring groove and it could have happened at any time.
Next question where do you want it repairing, well under the circumstances I'd like it to go to Automotive Leisure OK we'll sort out the cost of transporting it from Exeter to Bournemouth and get back to you.
Pre-empting this I contacted Cameron at AL who asked for details of the van and a few photos to have an idea of what the problems are. He did say that they are off to the Show so might be a delay in getting back to me. I pointed out that the next contact should be from the Insurers. Also the earliest slot he has got is January!
Had an e mail from the Insurers today saying that there might have been a misunderstanding in the conversation with the Engineer, the van will be delivered to AL for an estimate, repairs at the moment are still on hold!
I have a repairer nearer home but not knowing the true extent of the damage, particularly possible damage underneath and any associated problem of ordering spares from Hymer I am reluctant to have it repaired anywhere other than AL.
I'll keep you posted

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:01 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

What a palaver. I wish we had a groan button Mick. Yet another case of the competence of UK Insurers.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
rs540 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:43 am
by Taffy (deleted)

I don't think you would have any better service from AL so don't raise your expectations.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Sorry Taffy, meaning what?
I've had repair work carried out ny AL no problems
Anyway latest is I get a phone call on Froday from the same recovery driver who picked the can up from M5, just letting me know he was taking the van to AL and thought he would let ne know.
Anything from the Insurance people? Nope not a word, just waiting now to see when they do actually let me know then they can get ready!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:18 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Looks like the motor mover saved you from a lot of damage!
I am puzzled, if this was just a bearing failure - or indeed any wear and tear mechanical failure - would insurance cover it?

Freelander 2 trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks for that cheerful thought

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0