"No end in sight for Volkswagen 1.5 TSI engine problems"

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:52 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.074 Posts

I know there have been discussions of switching to this engine and came across this report.

"No end in sight for Volkswagen 1.5 TSI engine problems" according to Honest John

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/new-ca...KwiYjMjZUSN6HL8

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

RE: "No end in sight for Volkswagen 1.5 TSI engine problems"

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:13 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.305 Posts

This really is a weird situation. The 150bhp 1.5 petrol engine is found across the VAG group. VW and Skoda have been hit particularly badly, but the same engine in Audi seems to be predominantly trouble free. Why?
I swapped from a 2.0L Diesel Yeti to this engine in my manual Audi A3. I am very pleased. It pulls strongly, is returning 45/50mpg around town, 55+ mpg on a run, up to 37mpg pulling a 1200kg Triton. This did drop to 33mpg over near 2,000 miles in France this summer with a fully loaded car and van. It will hold cruise control in 6th on all but the very steepest of motorway inclines and shows no signs of Kangarooing.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:15 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #2
It will hold cruise control in 6th on all but the very steepest of motorway inclines...
How fast is the engine turning over at 60mph in 6th, Colin?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:55 pm

About 2,000rrpm.

Colin

ps. still cannot get the EMUK mirrors, they are no longer made, waiting for a second hand pair to turn up in the UK

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:35 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #4
About 2,000rrpm.
You're a braver man than I am.

I can't bring myself to let the car climb a motorway hill in sixth gear tugging a tonne and a bit of caravan, especially with the cruise control engaged.

I don't doubt its ability to do it - and our car is identical to yours except for having the two litre 190bhp TFSI engine - it's just that I have this niggly Victorian Dad feeling that 2000rpm in a sixth gear which is essentially an overdrive, uphill, with a big tin can on the back, is within a whisker of slogging it.

Both the car and I are much happier in fifth with the rev counter a bit further round the dial.

I guess it's partly a legacy of years of riding big bikes which are much less forgiving of being in the wrong gear.

Actually, despite having had this motor for three years come December, I've never once used its cruise control, towing or otherwise.

Don't care for it much.

When it comes to regaining speed, cruise is all or nothing, accelerating harder than it needs to. It doesn't (because it can't) modulate your speed or anticipate anywhere near as well as a sympathetic size nine does either, so I think that any fuel savings are minimal at best and non-existent at worst.

I kind of confirmed that to myself in a very unscientific way some time ago while on a very long road trip in the states. I got better mileage without it than with it, and really only ever turned it on so that I could get out of the driver's seat and do a few calisthenics on the straighter sections of interstate and when the mirrors were empty.

Hard cheese regarding the mirrors. If I ever sell mine, you'll be the very first to know when they've gone

Last edited Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:30 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:02 pm

Peak torque is from 1500 to 3500 rpm so at 2000 rpm it is comfortably in the range. Engine does not labour or feel strained at all and soon indicates to me to drop down a gear if needed. In fact if I've left it in 5th it indicates to change up.
I've taken to using cruise control when towing for several reasons. I've had several long motorway runs with large sections of 50mph average speed limits, so a good reason to use it. When out of these I find it is far to easy to let the speed climb as the engine really does want to pull, so another good reason. Third one is I find the seating not as good as my Yeti, but by using cruise control I can alter my position and after 300 miles still feel good.
Like you I don't really believe cc guarantees the best mpg. It is reacting to the situation at present and not what you can see coming up ahead and make adjustments for.

Colin

Williebraveheart and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 64 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12522 topics and 105646 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5