Leaky front window.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 am
by maurice williams (deleted)

9540FB7D-24A3-48F6-A1FF-86234B6FA03F.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)214D92C6-F0B7-49E6-8800-B8C015E38840.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)[[File:5EE0E7DC-7F7F-49E2-BAD4-0660505530AE.jpeg|none|auto]][[File:5EE0E7DC-7F7F-49E2-BAD4-0660505530AE.jpeg]]Hello
I have recently purchased a 1997 Triton 420. It has just had it’s first proper drenching with rain and i noticed a small bead of water in the lower corner of the front ( fixed window ) Is this easy to fix. The rubber seems in good condition but is clearly not doing it’s job. Or do I need to get it resealed proffesionally?
Thx in advance for any help. I have attached a couple of photos of the window.

Last edited Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:44 am | Scroll up

RE: Leaky front window.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:07 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

It may just need a bead of caravan mastic under the lip on the outside to cure the leak, go right round the window as water has a knack of finding gaps anywhere. Don't use silicone sealant, see the link below..

It's difficult to see from your photos, just make sure the window looks seated ok, the rubber isn't nicked or it hasn't doubled over when it was fitted also is the locking strip in the middle secure.

https://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/Product...sealant/SIK2962

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Aaron Calder and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:21 pm

Thx poptop320. I will get some of that stuff ordered and go right around all of the window and see haw we go on. As far as i can see the rubber is seated ok i just think it needs a helping hand now because the original sealent has degraded and become slightly porous. I think the nearside fixed window is the same so will do that one as well. Many thanks 👍🙂

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:24 am
by Ezza (deleted)

Hi Maurice, I did my 94 Triton last year and it seems to be successfull up to now. You will need the tool for putting the locking strip back in and plenty of washing up liquid. I masked the body surrounding the rubber before sealing and cleaned the contact area with acetone,

To get the sealant right down to the bottom of the joint I made a blunt wooden tool to open the joint pushing this round in front of the mastic gun nozzle (you may need help with this}.

I used Soudal Fixall Crystall for the sealant, it comes highly recommended on this forum.

Good luck. Eric

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:34 pm

Hi Eric
Thank uou for your reply. I have heard about this “locking strip” thing. Can you please tell me where it is located and where do I get the tool for replacing it. I take it you removed the window totally and then cleaned the seal and window surround. Is there a guide as to how to achieve this. I have never attempted this so a bit nervous. I have the sika sealent on order.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:44 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: maurice williams wrote in post #5
Hi Eric
Thank uou for your reply. I have heard about this “locking strip” thing. Can you please tell me where it is located and where do I get the tool for replacing it. I take it you removed the window totally and then cleaned the seal and window surround. Is there a guide as to how to achieve this. I have never attempted this so a bit nervous. I have the sika sealent on order.

Have a look at these guides in the link , the front bow window will explain how to seal the window, ..

Replacing window rubbers step by step guides

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:37 pm
by Ezza (deleted)

Hi Maurice, the locking strip is a plastic bead embeded in the centre of the window seal. To remove you simply pick out one end with a screwdriver and pull it out, that's the easy part.

Replacing it you will need a tool, there are plenty available to buy online, try googling "wlndow locking strip tool", this tool opens the groove that the strip fits into, you push it round and feed the strip in behind it, the groove then closes up behind. Tip, use plenty of washing up liquid.

Being from Yorkshire I made my tool from a welding rod and an old file handle.

Eric

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2