Damp???

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:42 pm
by maurice williams (deleted)

Hello
I am an Eriba noob. I hsve just bought a 1997 Triton TM. I bought it for two reasons one of which was build quality and their inherent resistance to damp.
Now this may seem like a daft question but what does damp smell like. The reason I ask this question is that there is a very obvious smell in my van but it is not a musty smell which you would associate with damp but a kind of perfumy sort of air freshener type smell. There was one of those horrible clicky air freshener things in the toilet and i just wonder if it has permeated the whole van. It has since been removed and thrown in the bin. But the smell persists.
Any help to a regrettably vague question folks.

Scroll up

RE: Damp???

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:59 pm
by warddru0455 (deleted)

Could it be the fluid used in the toilet cassette. Some of them are heavily perfumed to overcome some what other noxious fumes.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:08 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I would be a little (very little) suspicious of what might be an attempt to conceal or disguise another odour. I suggest you open all windows, door, lockers and vents to remove the current perfume and then start diagnostic sniffing from scratch😃

Eriba Troll 540GT (#6) and Galaxy.
Don’t grow up.....it’s a trap!
Randa france, FINNWOODY, Pip1136 and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:26 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

It' so difficult to describe the "Eriba Smell" but it is there and in every van we visit, new or old.

I've just asked Mrs R and she describes it as a fresh, woody smell uncontaminated by polish, spray etc.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:32 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Sadly, the previous owner of my Triton was a smoker. I've had the van 5 years now and the smell still comes back if the van is left closed up. When I bought it, it had air fresheners in.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:42 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Have you considered ozone treatment. Apparently this is used to remove stubborn smells from vehicles. Should work ok in your Triton. Apparently you can hire the machine from about £40 for a day. such as.....

https://www.ozonecleanair.co.uk/

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Randa france and Ray Lawrence like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:02 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Our Troll has the faint but distinctive smell of fart.

I suspect the wife.

I have considered a cork, but am concerned that it may become a projectile.

Is there anything I can do other than trying (again) to get her to modify her largely cabbage-based diet?

addisb, mr_underhill, and Kam like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:48 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Two corks?
One per nostril.

granddadgrape, cabbie37, addisb and mr_underhill like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:14 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Last edited Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:16 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:55 pm
by maurice williams (deleted)

Well I managed to get access to the dunny department today and removed the toilet cassette. There was indeed some fluid in there so maybe that was responsible for the perfumy aroma. I have been checking my van on regular occasions today since removing it and washing it out and the smell has abated some what. Still a slight whiff but hopefully it may start to neutralise over the next day or two.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:16 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

The Thetford cassette can have age related cracks. Tiny stress fractures will leak evil smelling amounts of the contents.
Orcmaybe it’s been transported with contents!
Also sometimes the flap can be closed before complete drainage after flushing. This causes a small but significant collection of liquid on top of the seal so that during transit this can spill out and over.

As I mentioned before, forensic sniffing may identify the cause🤢

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:59 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Quote: Stevejoyce wrote in post #6
Have you considered ozone treatment. Apparently this is used to remove stubborn smells from vehicles. Should work ok in your Triton. Apparently you can hire the machine from about £40 for a day. such as.....

https://www.ozonecleanair.co.uk/

Interesting. I used to have a "fresh air" machine which I believe generated ozone across some pointed terminals. I'll have to dig it out.

I believe you can also get a "bomb" thing to let off in a car to remove air con induced odours.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:35 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Zitat
Quote Ray Lawrence:- I believe you can also get a "bomb" thing to let off in a car to remove air con induced odours.

What! You mean an anti-stink bomb? That would have spoilt our fun in the 1950s.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2