Frost protection

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:48 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Does anyone ever bother to put a heater on frost protection setting in their eriba when there not using it. I know you can drain everything which obviously is the thing to do. I can’t imagine it costing a lot on just a frost setting & like the idea of caravan internals not getting to minus 10 but not quite sure on how I would do it without having the battery on permanent charge which can’t be a good thing. I know it’s only a maintenance level on the charger but still not ideal to be on for months & the cost of your charger working

Scroll up

RE: Frost protection

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:45 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I wouldn't bother with a heater. Ventilation is the important factor so crack open all the windows to the first notch on the catches, leave all the cupboard/locker doors open and the seat bases raised (or alternatively take them indoors if you have the storage room).

Also, don't just drain the taps, isolate them from the 12v supply, blow through them to remove all traces of water (thereby preventing frost damage) and leave them open. Put the plugs in the sinks to prevent creepy crawlies getting in too.

It's a good idea to check the gas locker periodically as I've twice had mice nesting inside and they will chew anything to provide nesting material. I think they get in through the gas dropout holes in the floor so chicken wire guards would be a good idea.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Poptop320, monoboard and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:55 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

When i bought my 2015 320 off our local Adventure Leisure i got them to fit a electric water heater. I use an aqua roll with a drop in pump which means i get rid of the standard water tanks (under the sinks) which gives me a little more room and easier to fetch & carry water. I've drained it yesterday and left the taps & drains open under the kitchen sink plus very back of the caravan under the electric water heater. I must try blowing down to clear any drops out & possibly hold up at head height the bathroom tap/shower head. And of course with being an external pump i don't have to isolate any volt circuits to be able to put lights on ect whilst seeing to jobs.
Being your very expensive pride & joy you still don't like it to be getting down to minus 10 in winter & would half liked to have had a heater on frost setting but with the potential temperature difference is that more likely to cause condensation! and the problem of your battery charger would also be live for an extended period unless you could isolate it. looks like its just going to get cold

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:41 am
by Karisman | 28 Posts

If you use a heater during winter you should use a temperature about 16 degrees celsius or above. Otherwise you get a lot of condensation in your 320. I had my old caravan (Kabe) on 16 degrees for several winters and no problem with moisture.

Randa france and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:10 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

16 degrees is quite warm, i thought the bigger the difference between outside to inside was more liable to have condensation. my heating on my house is background heating at 14 degrees and a couple of hours at night and morning i up it to 16 degrees and thats my house

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0