Stupid

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:55 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

A few months ago I arrived at my storage site full of excitement for the trip ahead. I soon realised I’d forgotten the Eriba keys at home. I’ll never make that mistake again, I thought.

I decided to leave the keys to my Eriba in the glove box of my car from then on.

Last night my car got broken into - actually this is a lie. I forgot to lock it!

I got into the car this morning ready to head off to work. I noticed the armrest cover was open, as was the glove box. It suddenly dawned on my that all my stuff had been stolen from my car.

Stupidly I had the keys to my Eriba, the keys to my hitch lock, wheel clamp, fob to the security gates at the storage yard, map of my storage yard showing my plot all in the glove box. Not any more.

What an idiot!

I’ve spent the whole day collecting a new fob from the storage owner, checking my caravan is still at the storage compound, buying new locks and booking a mobile mechanic to cut the old locks off.

There’s a lesson here. My wife has been telling me about it all night.

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Stupid

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:00 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Do we have the same wife? Mine is always telling me what I should have done or do.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Kam and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:40 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

There will be a lot of 'hindsight' based advice, I'm sure, but I have always had 2 sets of keys, kept in different places.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:48 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I must admit to having two full sets of keys,:-
- van
- hitch-lock
- wheel lock
- two padlocks
One set stays with us when we are out and about, the second is buried in the under-bed locker in case we miss-place the set we carry.
You may ask how do we get into the van to get the second set, easy. A spare van only key is stored in a bagged small plastic box heavily taped to a hidden from view area of the chassis.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
eribanaut and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:22 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

I also have a spare door key secreted about the van. Also as a backup, in my car, I have a piece of thick wire with a hook on one end that can be slid up through the window rubbers and push up the clips.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:27 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #5
Also as a backup, in my car, I have a piece of thick wire with a hook on one end that can be slid up through the window rubbers and push up the clips.

If you are already armed with the tools to break in why bother with the secreted key which
must be on the outside / underside of the van and in itself posses a security risk .
In my case both my wife and I carry a key .

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:58 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I keep my eriba keys in the house safe together with my faberge egg. The key to the safe is the same as my front door key in case I loose it. Don't worry, I can't forget it as it's under the front door mat. Don't tell anyone.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Eribanut and granddadgrape like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:28 am
by Frantone (deleted)

We were locked out of the Eriba. No probs (I thought!) because I had secreted a key under the van somewhere.
Where? WHERE❓
Couldn’t find it and therefore convinced myself that it must have fallen off.
Luckily the underbed locker was unlocked so I thought I could empty it and crawl through into the van.
Err no.
Happily a more flexible friend managed to squirm in and up through the bed to unlock the door and let us in.
He made a half hearted attempt to claim salvage rights😄.......
.........and it was round about then that I remembered where the key was actually hidden.

Eriba Troll 540GT (#6) and Galaxy.
Don’t grow up.....it’s a trap!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:45 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

Was that the friend from times past ? Access...your flexible friend ??

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:42 pm
by Threeberries3 (deleted)

Hi, I bought a Masterlock key lock from Screwfix and fixed it under the entrance step of my van for s security, only £14, it's reasonably well protected by here too.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-5...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Colin
Eriba 542 behind a AWD Renault Kadjar
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:13 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Hope it is well hidden. These are fairly easy to work out the code. Are you taping over the dials to keep road dirt out?

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:52 pm
by Threeberries3 (deleted)

I haven't no , but I get down and dirty and open it occasionally and it seems to be ok.
But I'll check.

Colin
Eriba 542 behind a AWD Renault Kadjar
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:30 am
by Kam | 139 Posts

What an expensive palaver. I managed to get a spare key from Jandi and a mobile mechanic cut off my wheel clamp and hitch lock. I can’t recommend the Millenco hitch lock enough. It resisted determined drilling, angle grinding and hammering for nearly an hour. The mechanic got through 3 batteries in the process of removing it.

I’ve now fitted new security and my beloved Troll is safe again. This has been a very expensive lesson.

WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 48 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7