Which sealer for chimney pipe seal ?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:01 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

We were away in our 2015 Triton 430 at the weekend for a lovely weekend near Barnard Castle and had biblical rain overnight on Saturday.

The outer cardboard exhaust flue pipe from the back of the gas heater up to the chimney is now wet in a few places, and I understand this probably means we need to seal around the chimney pipe under the external black rubber seal on the roof.

Just looking for a recommendation on best sealant to use for this job around the chimney pipe ? Is just bog standard clear bathroom silicon sealer ok or is there some caravan specific sealant we should use ?

Would areally appreciate some advice

Last edited Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:05 pm | Scroll up

RE: Which sealer for chimney pipe seal ?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:30 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

When I removed the flue from my previous van I cannot remember there being any sealant in the area, just a rubber gasket. First step would be to see if the big hand nut inside the roof area is tight as it could have worked loose with age. Whatever the case undo it and give the area and gasket a god clean. If the gasket is still flexible and the nut was a bit loose then I don't think you need a mastic. If you do decide to use one then avoid silicon. Best go for a Sikaflex sealant. I think the caravan industry uses 221 and 228 but these are very expensive and the general purpose Sikaflex from Screwfix https://www.screwfix.com/c/sealants-adhe...ives-_-Sikaflex should do the job. I also use this https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=roofers+mate which I am very impressed with.

As you van is a 2015, if it has a genuine Hymer/Eriba service history then I would have thought they should attend to this under the 6 year water ingress warranty.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:30 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Sikaflex 512 sealant seems to be the go-to general sealant for caravans.

I used it when I replaced the high-level brake light on our Triton on the recommendation of members of this forum.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:15 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I think I’ve read in the Truma installation manual that was posted here recently that the chimney fitting does not have any sealant. Which seems to be born out by Colin’s observation.

Eriba Troll 540GT (#6) and Galaxy.
Don’t grow up.....it’s a trap!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:01 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

It is also possible that the rain may have been able to get into the flue (such as by bouncing off the roof).

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:35 am
by Spapro (deleted)

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I will check things out before doing anything as per Colins suggestions about top nut being tight etc.

It is due a service in November, at Lowdhams in Huddersfield most likely. Was just hoping to sort the issue myself quickly if possible ahead of the service.

I had considered the rain may have found a way into the chimney vent by bouncing off the roof, but read the flue pipe is double skinned so if the outer cardboard skin is damp then the seal is most likely at fault, as water getting in the top under the cap would wet the inner flue pipe rather then the outer.

I will do some investigation at the weekend I think.

Thanks again

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:23 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

It may be to late now but next time it rains and if it does the same again take some pictures and you can show/ advise Lowdhams before you go for a service. As Colin said it should come under your six year water ingress warranty and hopefully by prewarning them they may be able to sort it out during the service. Usually when I take mine to Lowdhams (Huddersfield) I take it on a Saturday morning and pick it up a week later.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:18 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Sealing the chimney......
BB382384-E1B3-427E-AC83-CCD53EC8D63C.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Eriba Troll 540GT (#6) and Galaxy.
Don’t grow up.....it’s a trap!
Poptop320 and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:25 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

A good way to check if water is running down the inside of the pipe is to draw a line around the inside with a water soluble felt pen. Any water running down the inside will become apparent.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105676 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2