Eriba Fire, Germany.

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:18 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Neale Hall, one of our Eribafolk facebook members, shared this link:- https://osthessen-news.de/n11627282/stau...lq_Iar7d1dpKNrM

fire 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)fire 02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The report translates as follows:-

Traffic jam on the A5: Caravan goes up in flames on highway
01.11.19 - shock for a 49-year-old from Erfurt and his wife on Thursday afternoon on the A5: The couple drove with his caravan trailer the two-lane A5 in the direction of Kassel. Between the junctions Homberg / Ohm and Alsfeld / West, the driver suddenly noticed smoke from his trailer.

Immediately he stopped on the shoulder and disconnected his car in time from the caravan. A random on the accident site passing patrol crew of the highway police Bad Hersfeld still tried to bring the fire under control with fire extinguishers. This did not succeed. Persons were not injured by the fire. Due to the extinguishing work, the BAB 5 had to be closed in the northbound direction for about 45 minutes. A broadcast alert has been issued. The following traffic jammed on about 15 kilometers.

The caravan was completely destroyed by the fire. The resulting property damage is estimated at about 17,500 euros. The cause of the fire is assumed to be a technical defect on the vehicle. (Pm)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:27 pm | Scroll up

RE: Eriba Fire, Germany.

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:27 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

It looks as though the fire took hold near the battery and electrical systems.

A good reminder of the need for a smoke alarm.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

A few observations, but first, bloody hells fire springs to mind and thank goodness all are well.
The owner deserves a good drink to deal with the shock and a couple of medals for managing to get the car unhitched and the gas bottle out [you can see it at side of road] If anybody is in any doubt about how effective the roof air vent is and worries about sleeping with the top down, rest assured, just look at the air flow through it with that black smoke. Looks to me like the fire has taken hold front right and not near the battery and electrics which are usually on the opposite side to the door.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:04 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Fridge location ?

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:07 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

If I had to make a guess I think I'd go with that. It should be the only thing running in transit.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:46 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

You’re right. I had my orientation all mixed up.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:29 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #5
If I had to make a guess I think I'd go with that. It should be the only thing running in transit.
Colin

But on 12V ? Would it be possible to do that damage? It's frightening if it is.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:23 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

How horrible. I feel for the owners and have to admire the quick thinking to disconnect the car. It has certainly changed my mind about driving with the hitchlock attached. I have no idea how you would go about sourcing the problem from that but would point out that if it was a 535 the battery and 12 volt electrics are on the door side right under the kitchen unit. The fridge is on the other side. Also the 535 does not have a chimney as it has the blown air heating and hot water boiler. Although difficult to see I could not see a chimney.

I do hope the owners are back on the road caravanning as quickly as possible.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:45 am
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

Not sure if it’s the camera angle, but it looks to me like the offside of the van is lower, possibly indicating tyre failure?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:03 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

A 12v fire is quite feasible, last Dec we were camped near Boulogne when the 12v lights went out, the outside bollard had tripped we switched it back on and could smell burning insulation so looked at our fuse box which was smoking, none of the internal trips or fuses had operated, I've had the whole system replace by John E.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105676 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5