Help wanted on 'barn find' caravan

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 pm
by MiniKay (deleted)

Posting on behalf of a friend of a friend in Australia. They have found an old caravan that looks like an Eriba? They asked me if I knew what it was as I have a Puck. To me it looks a bit like a DIY conversion of some kind - the door seems to be at the rear of the side rather than near the front, and looks home made to me.

Can anybody shed any light on this as regards make, model, age etc.?

Any info appreciatedmontypuck.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

1981 Puck pulled by 1968 Mini
Scroll up

RE: Help wanted on 'barn find' caravan

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:44 am
by Phillip (deleted)

Looking at your picture the door is at the front close to the pop up for head room when entering the van. Also the lack of any road lights may interpret that to be the front of the van.

As for model and year hard call, it could be an early puck that a diy renovation has been tried, even down to a bit of welding work moving the door to the left side.

Would be a interesting project.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61012131@N07/albums

Last edited Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:45 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:03 am
by Clippie (deleted)

Try a post on an Australian forum:
http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/

Clippie

Gofer for |Troll 535 GT & Landrover Discovery Sport.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:10 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Just like Philip it to me looks like an early Puck which has had a bit of diy attempted. I think the roof is to much like an Eriba not to be one.
As no plates appear to be left on the outside get the owner to look at the middle of axle as they may well find a plate that could help in the search.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

SHED any light? That's a bit cruel Kay

Firstly the door on the wrong side and has non Eriba door hinges. Australia, like the UK drive on the left and I believe there used to be a problem with importing leisure vehicles with doors on the wrong side. I've not looked for proof of that but I do remember that this forum did have An Australian couple on board who were in the process of importing a Pan and I'm sure they mentioned the issue.

I think it's a 1959-1961 Eriba Faun rebuild. Square top door suggests very early models of Puck and Faun. One window in the front suggests Faun (although this one has been resized as has the side window.)

On the Faun the non door side has a window which would make it easier to replace with a door opening.

Faun.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) The Faun.

Same vehicle flipped. Faun 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Australian Barn Find.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) 1961 Faun.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Faun side window.

Kay, can I put the question to Christophe Brice on Facebook? It'll mean using your photo.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:34 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:57 pm

Australian Design.

This is interesting:- https://caravan.hemax.com/Reviews/3401/A...Rule_Compliance

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:19 pm
by MiniKay (deleted)

No worries, wasn't sure whether to put it on Facebook or on here.

1981 Puck pulled by 1968 Mini
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi Kay. I've have done so but I'm quite confident that it could have started life as a Faun and in those days the door side had to be swapped to conform to Australian rules.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:19 pm

OK, I'm wrong in so far as it's a Puck that has been adapted (ref Christophe Brice). It has been discussed amongst various Eriba groups for a few years. Here are some more pics and some comments.

OZ 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)OZ 02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Comment taken from "Vintage Caravans ;- Australia's Caravan Heritage"

"................... there is definitely one other here in Au ....

it is owned by a guy who towes it behind his Kombi .... i have spoken to him on the DSK forum a few times on various "kombi matters" .... it is definitely an eriba puck .... i remember him saying that it was bought into Au as some type of "project" by an Aussie company quite a few years ago ... but the project was abandoned .... and the puck sat neglected until he stumbled across it ... he picked it up specifically to use behind his Kombi ... i did email him to say that i would be ineterested in buying it if he ever decided to sell .... but he didn't reply :( ... so i doubt that this one is his ...

i think that he is from either Adelaide or Melb .... but travels and lives in the USA for quite long periods of time ..... next time i see him on line i will ask ...

i think that the pucks are fairly well known in Kombi circles as i believe that they were originally designed to be towed by VW beetles and Kombis ... the Westphalia people (the same people that made the after market Kombi camping interiors in Europe) also made a very small caravan to tow behind a Kombi or beetle ... but i have not heard of a Westphalia here in Au

hope that helps anyone looking for one ... they are pretty rare here in Au i would say - especially if it is a genuine puck ... as far as i know pucks were NEVER made in a RHD version ... so this may be a "ring in"...

maybe you can buy this one .... "

regards
aussietanker

JefL likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 56 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105683 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1