Insurance renewal

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:44 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

I’ve just been invited to renew my insurance (Pickles) with a 38% increase in the premium!
Circumstances have not changed and no explanation has been offered.
Any recommendations for sensible insurance companies who offer usual cover at a market rate?

Scroll up

RE: Insurance renewal

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:13 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Hi Kevin.
It's quite normal for your insurance company to try and fleece you after the first year and you have to phone them to threaten to leave them before they offer you a price in line with their previous year's offer.

Saga, Towergare and Cover4Caravans seem to be the people's favourites but with all insurers be careful of their requirements.

Many insurers now want an annual proof of service from you in the event of a claim and more and more are asking for your van to be CRiS registered before they'll cover you.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:39 pm

The research has been interesting. Quotes differ by up to £240. C&MC and C&CC different by £100. Most unusual condition was Aviva who will refuse cover if your pride and joy is stored anywhere near a horse box. It seems they have been caught out by claims for hoof prints in the external walls! Annual service is ok but Cris still want to ignore me. I’ll give your suggestions a whirl. Thanks for the help.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:38 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

We have been with Lifesure for several years and are happy with level of cover, conditions and price. Hopefully all will be similar come renewal time in February.
From memory of previous postings £100 per £10,000 of cover seems to be about as low as you will generally get for an old fart requiring new for old with European cover. This element usually racks up the premium.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks Colin

Is it the the fact that I’m an old fart (happily acknowledged) or the European cover that hikes the premium? BTW the rule of thumb seems to work unless you are daft enough to go with CMC!

Kevin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:31 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

All about prices but what really matters if you have to make a claim how will the cheap companies respond. Repairs to our beloved caravans easily run in to thousands of pounds. Insurance is not a lottery it is a gamble. Cheap quotes invariably will give you a cheap service.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks Ray
You have clearly been channeling Mrs C! Decisions decisions.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:07 pm

You are correct there. Some years ago I posted about a conversation I'd had with one of the sixth form students I taught. His father had a Red Pennant contract to collect vehicles from Europe whilst his mother ran the yard and looked after the books. She dealt with many insurance companies in dealing with damaged vans so could make an informed comment on who to go to or avoid.
The best company to deal with was without doubt The Caravan annd Motorhome Club, but as we know they are very expensive. Up towards the top of the others was Lifesure, so when the quote came in favourably I went with them.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:05 pm
by cj53 (deleted)

Just for interest really, I know all our circumstances are different but for a 2016 troll 540 stored in driveway when not touring I have just received the following quotes for market value uk only touring :-
Caravan and camping club £400.25 (up from 350.15 last year)
C&M club £545 or £625 new for old
Lifesure £336
Saga NEW for OLD (which I have purchased ) £295!

Please don't tell me if they are crap
Regards and a Happy Christmas to All
Colin Jones

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:09 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Any number of folk will give Saga a really good name Colin. The only reason I had to switch from them however was that they required an annual proof of servicing should I have needed to make a claim and we don't see the need to have our van serviced every year.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:11 pm

The range in prices and high to low order is as I would expect. I'd guess next year SAGA would go up and Lifesure would be your lowest, if our experience is anything to go by.
If you do not have many years of caravan insurance cover the prices are not unreasonable.

Colin

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:20 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I have been delighted with Saga for the last three years. They have never attempted the unreasonable hike year on year.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:41 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

I have been with Caravan Guard for the last three years and they have always seemed very reasonable . Having said that I am due to reinsure in February so we will have to see what happens then .

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:31 am

My February renewal quote with Lifesure came through this morning. NO mention of CRIS requirement.
£25K + £500 contents, new for old, european cover, Substitute Vehicle and Legal Expenses Cover,
Up from £267.83 last year to £281.98.

I don't think I'll be spending much time shopping around.

Colin

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:15 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

My renewal came in today. Safeguard have seen fit to raise my premium by about 21% which I find hard to justify other than being a soft touch. Think they have just lost my business.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi (well would be if we ever get a trip this year)
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2