Seats or comfy bed??

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:22 pm
by Moodenelle (deleted)

We’re due to pick up our first Eriba next week (a 2009 Puck L 320 GT) and plan to do a makeover.
What would people recommend in terms of the seating versus having a comfy bed when it’s down? We will be changing the seat covers anyway, so is this a chance to change the foam too?
I’ve heard of various brands of mattress toppers but storage might be an issue.....
All advice welcome!

Scroll up

RE: Seats or comfy bed??

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:05 am
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

I'm guessing you are going to have to stay with the daytime seating into bed setup at night, so no fixed bed conversion.
After 11 years the seat pads should still be fine and I believe they will probably be sprung and not just foam. If they are foam you could take to a local upholsterer/foam supplier to get a gauge on how good they are and price to replace if needed.
For the new upholstery fire retardant is obviously a must. I'd also bag the old covers and keep in the loft for when you eventually sell, just incase.
Sleeping wise I believe most people with your set-up use sleeping bags or duvalays and roll them up for during the dau. Because we have always used a fixed bed set-up we have gone for duvet and sheets. If you are on a long summer set-up abroad and basically living outside then you could easily revert to this method

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
highmiler likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:41 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

We decided to add some 2" memory foam (1" when compressed) to the top of our existing seats and then to recover the whole lot leaving the original covers inside. Like you, we didn't fancy the storage problem of mattress toppers.

The above arrangement worked very well but we have to admit that after 8 years they could do with renewing as the foam has shifted inside the covers.

The first thing to consider though before you start adding thickness to the seats is the headroom when sitting to the underside of the roof locker boxes. Not being very tall, it worked OK for us.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:41 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I just wouldn't like to sleep on a mattress someone else had slept on for 11 years, a matter of hygiene. you wouldn't buy an 11 year old mattress for your bed would you?.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:05 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #4
I just wouldn't like to sleep on a mattress someone else had slept on for 11 years, a matter of hygiene. you wouldn't buy an 11 year old mattress for your bed would you?.
Dave

Not when you can pick one up from the side of the road
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm
by Ianrow | 50 Posts

We use a memory foam topper cut in half and sewn into covers that stay on top of the seats.
We roll the double sleeping bag into a bolster shape , inside a cover which is tucked under the window. You can just about see it behind the grey cushions in the photo.

IMG_20200926_114306968.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2002Triton 420 GT & Ford C max 1.6TDI
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm
by Old Rocker | 496 Posts

We had the covers replaced and changed from springs to foam. Anything with a wooden back was replaced with a medium foam, all others with firm. We now find the bed much more comfortable

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Don't ask me nothing about nothing, I might just tell you the truth
eribanaut and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:39 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

Why not just buy a compact mattress topper (we have a thin one from Argos which is perfectly comfortable) and keep it in the car during the day?

Between trips we roll it up tightly, secure it with Velcro straps and stuff it under the “seat” at the end of the dinette under the rear window. We have a Troll but hopefully this would also be possible in a Puck.

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 38 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2