Build quality

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm
by One Eyed Steve (deleted)

Although we had a Puck 20 years ago, I neve had cause to do any work on it. Yesterday I started fitting a second hand Carver heater in the wardrobe. To do so I had to remove the doors, piano hinges! Full length piano hinges. Every other make of caravan I have owned, would use nasty little composite hinges. Then the floor, two layers of dense plywood and a foam core. Fantastic. Warm, tough and hard wearing.

If these features are typical of the quality of build then no wonder you guys love them so much.

Mind you, I have to lay underneath it tomorrow to hook the gas pipe up, so might be less enthusiastic :)

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Build quality

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:37 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

It would appear that standards have slipt in the making of the modern Eribas . It now appears the normal for doors to fall off ,overhand lockers to part company with there hinges and modern lights to choose wether they come on or not . Having said that I am very pleased with our thirteen year old Triton which seems to of the same quality as yours ,
. It was one the last built French ones .

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:14 am
by One Eyed Steve (deleted)

Ooh. That’s a pity, but “seems to be the way of the world nowadays” sadly.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I've made more than my fair share of comments on the decline in build quality since collecting my then new Triton back early in 2017.
I believe it boils down to Hymer trying to move forwards for good reason but obviously missing the mark. Eriba in France were losing money, vans were assembled often with a lack of attention to detail and the technology was a bit behind the times.I'm also guessing they needed to raise production numbers but could not.
Production moved to Germany, design details changed, technology improved and vans seemed to be assembled better. The problem lies with the choice of materials not being up to standard and then things went wrong. So far I can understand all of this, but what then happened, or more to the point did not happen escapes me. Hymer did not address the issues. They continued to drag on and are only know it seems being addressed.
At the end of the day, or more accurately a couple of years ownership of these newer vans, owners have through there own efforts or via repeated dealer visits, the van as it should have been on first collection. A van that will last many years and bring much enjoyment, long after the wobbly white boxes of the same age have probably been recycled.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:25 am | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3