Insurance Write Off

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:46 pm
by Lotte (deleted)

Can anybody help I need some assistance regarding Eriba prices?

A couple of months ago our little Eriba was evolved in an accident and has subsequently been written off. A car appeared on our side of the road evasive action resulted in our caravan just leaving the carriage and hitting some large stones on the verge. The other driver was unaware of the mayhem he had caused and carried on his merry way. We originally hoped it was just a flat tyre but when we got home it was obvious we had problems. We took it to Adventure Leisure for a quote and subsequently our insurance has written it off.

Here is my problem the insurance have offered £7000 for the caravan and £400 for the motor mover.

I do not think this is anywhere near sufficient to buy another caravan like for like. I have spoken to the insurance company acting on behalf of the Caravan and Motorhome Club and they say they are happy to revisit the amount offered if I can come up with “evidence” that their amount is incorrect. They suggest I contact the dealers and see what a caravan like mine without extras would sell for to a cash buyer. I am awaiting replies which hopefully will be forthcoming after the festive season from Automotive Leisure and Adventure Leisure? The ever helpful Jandi have already replied the last time they sold a 2000/01 caravan was in 2000/01! They advised me to try Automotive Leisure. When I submitted the claim I enclosed a current example of a 2001 model for sale at AL for £10,999

I always check the prices at Automotive Leisure as a guide when insuring my caravan and have it insured for £11500. I realise that my caravan may not be as perfect as the example I saw but I cannot believe it is so far out. Also I freely admit I do not have the best bargaining skills in the world but again cannot believe anybody could get such a big discount?

We bought our caravan new from Lechlade in Feb 2001 it was a 2000 model. It is a Triton 430 GT it has been serviced regularly and any work to the body of the caravan has been carried out by an Eriba authorised dealer. Previous to the crash I would say it did have some age related wear and tear but was in reasonably good condition for its age.

I know it is asking a lot but would anybody who has recently sold or bought an Eriba ideally a Triton around the same age of mine please let me know what you bought/sold it for.

Also anybody who could advice me on Eriba prices in general and of how realistic AL prices may be. And any advice or suggestions of how I could obtain the “evidence"
Thanks

Scroll up

RE: Insurance Write Off

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Firstly my commiserations. All you can do is get estimated values from Eriba dealers and provide these along with website links for dealers adds of similar vans.
I would guess that the insurance company will then start a discussion with you. Al prices are high, but you could use the argument that they have the highest vehicle turnover in the country and as such are the best guide.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:03 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Hi Lotte. Sorry to hear about the accident.
Only a week or two ago a Facebook Eribafolk member was asking advice regarding a 2000 year yellow stripe Troll that was being offered for sale at a reputable dealer who admitted to not being au fait with Eribas. It had a mover and a Thule sun awning and the asking price was £10,000.
At the same time I pointed out to her that AL was selling a similar van but without the awning for £11,000.
I have, just a few moments ago, taken a screen grab off AL's Website showing two 1999 Triton 420s on sale for a little less than £10,000. I've done this as AL have the habit of removing the sale price (which is FIXED) upon the sale of the van.
Trition.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Here's the page link:- https://www.automotiveleisure.co.uk/shop/

Therefore, you should start your negotiaiton from here. Good Luck

Having just re-read your post Lotte, I've also screen grabbed the ad for the 2001 that you mention. There's also the date I grabbed it on the bottom of the photo. Hope this helps.

430.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)430 02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Don't forget, AL prices are non negotiable.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

and like this post!
Last edited Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:37 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:22 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

They also have an 01 430 with motor mover at £10999
https://www.automotiveleisure.co.uk/prod...a-triton-430gt/.
Remember, that was only the first offer, show that you know the worth of the van, the first offer for mine when written off was £7500, they eventually settled at £12500
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Randa france, , and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:30 am

Well spotted Dave. I've amended my screen grab to the 430.

430.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)430 02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Don't ask me why the tag on photo 2 says Tag 420. It's an AL mistake if you look at the full ad.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:42 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:43 pm
by Lotte (deleted)

Thanks to everyone for all your speedy and helpful replies.
AL certainly seem to have the second hand market in Eriba sewn up! If anyone is aware of any others prices please let me know, although I guess the festive season is not the best time to try and find this "evidence"
Many thanks Lotte

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi Lotte. This is another "good guy" but like AL, he removes the prices as soon as he sells so you'll need to keep an eye on his website.

He's cheaper than AL but he's a one man band. https://www.eribacaravansales.co.uk/erib...gt-2003-sold-1/

Randa

cor, just noticed a nice bunk in this one. I'm going to "borrow" the photographs.

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:47 am

Also, we shouldn't forget Dom Fox :- https://www.domfox.co.uk/eriba-caravans-for-sale/
Randa

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:18 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Lotte, I was speaking to my brother-in-law law yesterday who is a loss adjuster. He advised you read the policy wording regarding two points.
If it says "agreed value" then they have to pay out that full amount stated when the policy was taken out, as they took the contract on based upon that sum.
If it says "market value", then upon them or you providing evidence that is the sum they are obliged to pay out.
Based upon his comments it would appear you should be fine, but may have a headache and take a little time to get there.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:19 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:36 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

Sorry for being a little late to this discussion. When our 420 was written off we received what I thought was a derisory offer. My insurance company then asked me what I wanted. I told them I wanted what the van was insured for, that was how they had worked out the premium so as far as I was concerned that was the contract. They paid the insured value, stick to your guns.
Good luck.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:21 pm
by Lotte (deleted)

Just thought I would belatedly update you on what happened with our insurance claim. After submitting my evidence, Ashwicks on behalf of the Caravan and Motorhome Club did further investigation and came up with a figure we were happy to accept, approx £10,000. I'd like to say thank you again for all your help and advice, it was very much appreciated at what was a very stressful time. We have purchased a 2017 Triton and hope to be able to use it soon. I must say though if I could have my old van back in its pre crash condition I would in a heartbeat!!!!

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 57 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5