Alloy wheels - check that you have nuts for steel wheel spare

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:15 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

A lot of you will have read a sub-thread that emerged in Randa's "Eriba (NOT) Jacking Points" thread that started on June 4th. This was about people with the alloy wheels fitted making sure that they also had the nuts to fit the steel spare wheel in case of a puncture.

It started a bit of a discussion around having these as they are different to the nuts that fit the alloy wheels - although this may not be the case for very new vans according to someone who talked with ALV.

I had reached the stage where I just assumed that if I had a puncture I would call out the AA and they would swop the wheel.for the steel wheel spare - obviously without the right bolts they wouldn't have been able to and we would have been snookered. I am really grateful that I read this feed and to the good advice given. Pepe put a link to a retailer and the adjoining picture gave me something to look for and I eventually found them on a shelf in the shed

I do have some memory problems but have now pieced everything together. Cameron at AL did show me them when we collected the van in 2016. I carefully put them in the van. Later I was concerned about overloading the van and put some heavy things all together in a box that went in the boot of the estate. In winter I stored this in the shed. I emptied this box to use it for something else and put contents in shed The nuts got covered by something and were never taken camping again!

The frightening thing is that for over 18 months they have sat in the shed whilst we have taken the Troll all over England, Scotland & Wales. Pure luck has prevented a major problem.

I realise I am a forgetful numpty but this thread might hopefully alert other owners of vans with alloy wheels to double check that they have the nuts with them.Mine will now stay permanently in the van.

MikeT

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3