RE: Running my fridge when towing

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:40 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I'm not ashamed of my car

lobster-car-carl-purcell.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:10 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Colin,

I tested my 2017 Ateca very simply with a voltmeter plugged in to the 12Vdc power socket (the old cigar lighter).

In solo trim the voltage varied between 11.5 and 17.5 whilst driving around.

With the caravan attached it is a steady 14.2V so the factory fit towbar electrics cleverly defeat the "smart" alternator.

I have heard other people who do not have the correct software trick the alternator in to working continuously by driving with headlights on.

By the way, you were quite right to query the original poster about a new car as that was also my first thought.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:31 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I eventually managed to confirm the Audi garage had got my electrics working. I did so by running the engine and using a multi meter to get a reading on the contacts of the blue electrics box in the wardrobe. [the wise JohnE confirmed this was a good idea]
I initilaly tried an in-line bulb in a test wire off the 13 pin car electrics. I was attempting to induce a load on the circuit but all I achieved was a lot of error codes stored in the cars ecu.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 pm
by Mr A W Boxall | 31 Posts

I would like to thank everybody for the response to my little problem.
My car does not have the euro engine. I think I will buy a new relay, and if the fridge still does not cool down whilst towing I will use ice packs as Randa suggested at the start of the post.

Thanks again

Tony

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0