Running my fridge when towing

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:57 pm
by Mr A W Boxall | 31 Posts

I have a small problem with our fridge , it does not seem to cool down as it should when towing so when arriving on site the fridge is not cool.
It used to work, and I have mentioned it when I get our service done to no avail.
Has any member any ideas? We have a 2005 Eriba puck 120

Thanks
Tony Boxall

Scroll up

RE: Running my fridge when towing

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:45 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Check that the light is on the fridge while hooked up with engine running. That should narrow it down.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:00 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Also, are you running it from warm? Many folk plug their vans in overnight before touring so that the fridge is already cold when the battery is asked to maintain temperature.
On the occasions we have to run from warm, the fridge does a reasonable job of cooling things down but it is in no way the temperature you would desire. Put some ice packs in it before starting out. That helps.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Poptop320, FINNWOODY and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:38 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Have you changed your car?

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks for replying. We're just trying to cool the fridge down en route so it doesn't take so long to get properly cold once we're pitched. It used to work perfectly, but now it doesn't and the light doesn't come on any more. I've checked that it's not a fuse. It's not vital, but it was useful to pre-cool it en route. Thank you.

Tony

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:52 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Have you checked the 12V relay on the BIP unit?

They are cheap and easy to replace. It looks like this and is plugged into the front of the unit.

Relay01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Relay is to right of the switches and is retained by a wire clip.

Relay04.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

BIP02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:18 am

Sounds very probable that man, but I'm still wondering if the car has been changed and needs to be eliminated from the problem.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks Aaron will have a look.

Tony

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:38 am

What does the relay do?

Tony

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:09 am

Basically, it's a switch. When you are hooked up to the car with the ignition on, you should hear a click as the coil energises and the contacts engage. The red light on the fridge should then come on and, provided the fridge 12V element is OK, it should start to heat up and begin cooling the fridge.

In some car/van combinations, the relay doesn't operate until the engine is revved slightly but on others, mine included, it energises immediately the car ignition is turned on.

You should get someone to start the engine and rev it while you stay in the van to check that all is operating correctly.

The contacts on the relay can stick and/or burn out due to arcing. With the old relays you could effect a temporary repair by cutting the outer case from its base and cleaning the contacts with an emery board. The newer relays are better sealed and don't come apart easily. In any case, they are so cheap (about £5) that it's simpler to change them for a new one. I now carry a spare.

Here's a link to the post I uploaded when I was having relay problems: Fridge Relay

Hope this helps.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:21 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:58 am

First off, I would like to wish everybody a Happy new year.

I have removed the relay from my Puck it looks Ok but i will buy another one. Can you suggest a company that I can purchase the relay from!
Thanks for your time

Tony

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:33 pm

Have a look here, Tony. Even cheaper than I thought.

Finder 12V relay

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:51 pm
by gattim (deleted)

But Colin is right in asking if you have changed your car - there are known ‘problems’ with caravan fridges and Euro6 engines I believe - see here:-
https://www.hortoncommon.co.uk/caravan-fridge-problems/

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:43 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

I have a factory fit towbar and electrics. It senses if a trailer is connected and defeats the "smart alternator" feature. I tested it with a plug in voltmeter and with the caravan connected, it delivers a steady 14.2 Vdc .
Hopefully, third party tow bar fitters are able to re-programmes the car's ECU to the same extent.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Unfortunately in some cases it may not be that simple. Even cars from the same parent manufacturer leave the factories with different set-ups. Your Ateca is basically the same as my A3 under the skin, both of VAG parentage.
My fridge electrics did not work on my factory fit and they should have. Testing was also not simple as a meter could not be used to test the contacts due to a load needed to be induced.

This is why I asked the question about a change of car. Unfortunately we do not know if this has happened, and so guess work continues.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0