Very quiet fridge

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm
by maurice williams (deleted)

Hello everyone and Happy New Year

I have recently been testing my fridge. As far as i am aware it works. The green light comes on and it draws current ( according to my smart meter ) The fins inside get nice and cold so eveything is OK. My only concern is that it is very quiet. In fact it hardly makes any noise at all. I had a VW California before getting my Eriba and you could always tell when it was on because it made a slight humming sound. I thought that when i turned on my Electrolux and it was cooling down to operating temperature i would hear the compresser operating but no. No noise at all. Is this normal?

Scroll up

RE: Very quiet fridge

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:02 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

As far as I’m concerned I don’t hear a thing in my Troll when it comes to my fridge. Mind you I wear a hearing aid so perhaps I’m not the one to advise! BUT the wife isn’t hard of hearing and she says the fridge doesn’t make a sound so maybe things are ok in your van! Hope so!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

We are now on our 4th Eriba. The fridge on all of them has been silent. This is more than I can say for the two small electric fans I have fitted to the fridge back, which hum.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:17 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Simple reason is there is no compressor, so no moving parts.
You may hear the click of the thermostat occasionally.

Eriba Troll 540GT (#6) and Galaxy.
Don’t grow up.....it’s a trap!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:25 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Two different types of fridges here.
most Eribas are fitted with an absorption fridge. These work by heating a gas/liquid mix by various means, 230Vac, 12Vdc or gas, to send this mixture around the various pipes which create their magic and extract heat from inside the fridge. This process is silent.
Compressor fridges installed in later units have a low voltage compressor which creates the same conditions in the fridge pipework by high pressure instead of heat. This is how most domestic fridges work and the compressor can be heard cutting in and out, but much more noticeable in the confines of a van.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:46 pm

Thank you all for those responses. Yes that sounds good ( no pun intended ) I know for a fact that the fridge in a VW California has a compressor and does make a slight humming noise periodically I thought the Eriba one would also. Since it draws a current and the fins inside the fridge are icy to the touch it must be working OK. That is very pleasing as it means no noise from the fridge at nightime.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:00 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Just the green mains light to contend with! A teatowel draped over the side does the trick if we have electric hook up..........which is very rare.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:55 pm

Yes that green light is probably going to light the whole van up at night. Teatowel on standby. Can i please ask how the Seat tows. I have never towed a caravan before and I have bought a Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI Automatic.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Maurice, what Eriba do you have? Our last car was a 2.0 diesel Yeti that I used to tow our Famila and later our Triton with. When I bought the Yeti I considered the petrol but discounted it. From my research it would "cope" with a Famila, but I wanted more and realised moving up to a Triton was a probability. As a everyday drive you will find your Yeti a wonderful car. We owned ours for 5 years and found it reliable, comfortable and put a smile on my face. It is one of the few cars with character.
As regards the towing question I'm sorry if my observations are not what you wanted to hear. My advice would be to think that little bit further ahead and not expect your journey to be a quick one.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi Colin
It is a 1997 Triton TM ( 420 ). I am a caravanning newbie so not sure how my Yeti will pull.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:11 pm

Maurice, have a look at https://towcar.info/GB
Your van fully loaded will be 1000kg, so adjust the payload to get up to this figure. Add 400kg as a car payload and you should get some realistic predictions.
If there is just the two of you travelling then remember you can take the rearseats out of your Yeti and free up lots of storage space. This will allow you to get as much weight into the car as possible and reduce the weight of the caravan. We used to carry a table top fridge and table top freezer in the boot area. Forward ofthiswould be camping table, boxes of food, awning, satelite dish etc. The rear footwells would be filled full of wine boxes for our return journey from France.

Colin

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2