What type of wheels

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:50 pm
by Sarah OConnell (deleted)

Hi thank you for adding me to the group, I have just purchased a 1989 Puck and hope to tow it with my 1972 beetle. There are 13” rims on it and when I hook it up to the car it is tilted forward. Can you tell me what size rims I should have on it and tyres? I’ve checked a few forums and see some people have 10” rims. I’m thinking if I put 10” on it then it will sit more level with my vw. Any help would be appreciated. The vw isn’t lowered and the tow bar is factory height, all genuine bow bar and hitch used. Thanks in advance

Scroll up

RE: What type of wheels

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:58 am
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Hi Sarah and welcome to Eribafolk.
As far as I'm aware. a 1989 Puck does come with the larger wheel size and under no circumstances would I recommend you to go back to the early Puck 10" wheels. We have a number of owners who have Pucks of about the age of yours on here so I'd be grateful if they could confirm their wheel sizes.

There is a standard height for tow bar and trailer tow hitch measurements that can be seen here:-

tow bar height.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Note, these heights are to be measured when fully loaded.

It's worth noting that at the extremes of these figures, your van could have a ride height of 455mm while the car is riding at 350mm thus creating a nose down aspect for the van of as much as 105mm (over 4").

Also, if your car does not comply for any reason you can purchase a towbar adjustment plate very reasonably priced.

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1088533394

Randa

The following contents have been linked to this post:

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

mr_underhill likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:05 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:20 pm
by Sarah OConnell (deleted)

Hi Randa thank you for sending that on that’s great. This may be a silly question but is a slight nose down considered an issue while towing or should it be completely level with the car?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:34 pm

It's best to ride level but you're already on a loser with a rear engine car. Lots of Beetles around towing Pucks about though. Also. a lot of other classic cars seem to ride low at the back with a trailer in tow.
the other thing is, are you sure your Eriba nose weight is correct? It's easy to overload the front of an Eriba thus causing it to look nose heavy. Your car should have also have a max. tow bar load. What does the whole thing look like when empty and have you measured both car and Eriba to see what the height difference is?
I'm sure there will be others who can give you their opinion before you do anything drastic.
Can you upload a new and larger image of your car and van (the one you have as a thumbnail) into this gallery so that we can see what it looks like?
g47-Members-Eribas-with-their-tow-cars.html

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:38 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

The answer is open to debate, but somewhere between slightly down and level would be perfect.
As long as you actually have noseweight, ie weight acting down on the towball you should be fine. For a Puck I'd imagine 40/50kg would be perfect. Rule of thumb is about 5% of the loaded caravan weight. On a UK white wobbly baox caravan this would be about 7%.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:39 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #5
The answer is open to debate, but somewhere between slightly down and level would be perfect.
As long as you actually have noseweight, ie weight acting down on the towball you should be fine. For a Puck I'd imagine 40/50kg would be perfect. Rule of thumb is about 5% of the loaded caravan weight. On a UK white wobbly baox caravan this would be about 7%.

Colin

I concur with Oscar !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:53 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

Mine is a 1990 Puck and the wheels are 13". IMG_0336.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Now here's something that might throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

The subject of tow bar drop plates has just come up on Facebook. I was going to say that they've been around for years and are a bona fide way of overcoming height variance.

However I've just found this discussion :- https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-toget...ng-drop-plates/

Randa

Last edited Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:44 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:48 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

Looks like there is a bit of confusion in that Caravan Club discussion over what exactly a “drop plate” is.The Witter info quoted would seem to imply the adjustable ladder type rather than a fixed, single drop, plain plate.
You would have thought the CC would have sorted that out, but seems some of the participants aren’t happy with their technical department, and their lack of knowledge on the subject.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:31 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

I am not sureprised by the Caravan Clubs unwillingness to back droplates. This has been consistant for the last twenty fives -thirty years , when I last had a caravan . Around about that time there was a big conversation on the subject and the CC even voiced that it could be illegal to use them . I think that part of the argument was that the part of the plate attached to the van was quite thin and not really secured to the tow ball bracket ,so could presumably break in an accident . Having said this I used one for years towing a Musketeer with a Grenada without misshap. I think that this is another situation wear you pay our money and take your choice or your chance if you would rather .

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Like you Tom, I used to have them on our Land Rovers. I think in those days we felt secure in the knowledge that the insurance would pay up and not look to do battle with you over a technicality.
Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #11
Like you Tom, I used to have them on our Land Rovers. I think in those days we felt secure in the knowledge that the insurance would pay up and not look to do battle with you over a technicality.
Randa

I think that you are right Randa . In those days insurance companies seemed to really more on goodwill and if you thought that you had done nothing wrong then they where helpful to you . Now they seem to have changed their policies and try to find a way to stop you claiming even if you might be in the right but unable to prove it . I sad reflection of the times . It would seem as if it is you against them at every instants.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4