Road Breakdown Services.

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:21 pm
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Having just wasted a lot of time on the phone to the AA this morning, negotiating a realistic price for this year's cover, I'm sad to say that I've decided to stay with them, at least for this year, although it's costing me £25 more than last year. They did knock off a load of dosh but couldn't get it down to where I would have liked to have seen it.

My only reason for not going elshewhere is because we are staying in the UK this year and I understand that the AA has far more cover than its rivals (twice as many vans as the RAC?). When we go abroad we take out an all inclusive Red Pennant Cover.

If I'd gone with Greenflag I could have saved £50 on a comparable cover.

Can I ask folk which Roadside Breakdown service you use, if any, and what are your experiences with them?

Randa

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Road Breakdown Services.

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:51 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

I'm with Greenflag. AFAIK they will recover the caravan if the caravan itself fails, eg if a wheel falls off. Not used them yet though. Other companies may only recover the caravan if the car breaks down (I think this includes AA basic cover).

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:52 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:37 pm
by warddru0455 (deleted)

We ditched Green Flag because they increased the cost because we called them. Let me explain. We had all three cars and caravan covered with them, on two separate occasions my wife's car broke down and my daughters also. They called Green Flag and told them they were females alone and in a dangerous / precarious positions. Lengthy times of attendance were quoted for both breakdowns.Both times the ladies were told their nearest franchisee was busy on another job.
Once notified I downed tools and attended myself. On both occasions Green Flag were very quickly notified to "Stand Down". I was led to believe by the operator that they had not set off to our breakdowns so no time was wasted. Renewal time came around and our premium had risen quite sharply. I questioned the rise in cost to be told we had called them out. I told them the above story and put forward the case that no cost had occurred has on both occasions the Breakdown trucks had NOT set off to our incidents. Doesn't matter was the reply once the franchisee has been told they are paid an amount. Safe to say we are no longer with Green Flag. Regards Wardy.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:45 pm
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Thanks Wardy. That makes very interesting reading
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:22 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I am with Mayday (Greenflag) as I understand they are the only company who will attend a caravan only breakdown. I have not had to use them so far. Been with them many years and for two cars they were the cheapest by a country mile. My wife has used them two or three times over the years without any problems.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:23 pm
by Bathchap | 51 Posts

I fell out with the AA years ago because of their avaricious calculation of their annual fee increase. I have been with Mayday Green Flag for 15 years and only called them out once (a badly installed tow bar on a brand new VW on a late Sunday evening in Derbyshire) and the service was exemplary. However, as I understand it, they rely entirely on local garages to provide a recovery service and if you breakdown in areas of low population you can expect a significant wait. We generally have cars that are still within warranty and therefore have recovery included but persisted with Green Flag for the caravan cover (to show my belt and braces approach to life I also take out an annual Red Pennant policy for touring in Europe which up until now we have spent about six months each year in France or Spain). The Green Flag annual increase for us has only ever reflected inflation and has not needed any haggling. I am between caravans at present (awaiting delivery of a 530) and so when my current Green Flag Membership expired (they no longer allow temporary suspension) I did not renew, it will be interesting to see how they will calculate the cost of a new membership.

Randa france and Williebraveheart like this post!
Last edited Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:25 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:53 pm
by FINNWOODY | 136 Posts

I was previously with Green Flag but I had absolutely dire service from them when my car broke down in North Norfolk.
I had a "pre booked" appointment time.The breakdown truck was over 5 hours late! This was after several calls from me to find out what was going on.The guy who came had big problems getting my Eriba connected to his truck.He had 3 cables joined together to connect to my car and twisted my cable and 13 pin plug until only the left turn indicator worked.He towed me back to Nottingham like that with my car on the back of the truck (with my dogs in the car as they were not allowed in his truck).They got us home and the guy was polite but I would never touch them again.I am back with Gem Motoring Assist who are much more professional.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:56 pm
by gattim (deleted)

Just for clarity, Green Flag is definitely NOT a franchise but they do use a network of local garages and mechanics to attend to call outs. I think they have consolidated such that 5 operating companies cover most of the country

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:39 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Like many others I am with Mayday run by Greenflag under the umbrella of the Caravan Club . I have been with them for about 30 years and have had to use them on a couple of occasions , I have always had good service from them and found the waiting time reasonable .They always used to claim that if you had to wait more than half an hour you could claim £10 , this was then increased to one hour , and then this year it has been discontinued . When I travel abroad I always take out Red Pennant , I have also had to use them on a couple of serious occasions , once when my motorhome engine blew up , and I would never travel without them .

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm
by Captain Calamity | 342 Posts

After much research, Mayday and Red Pennant for best cost/service reviews - never had call to use them thank goodness.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:35 pm
by Biljul | 51 Posts

We use a packaged bank account. (Nationwide Flex plus) it gives worldwide travel insurance as well as breakdown cover throughout Europe. Also zero commision on using Nationwide credit card abroad.It costs £13 a month. Mobile phone insurance is also included. It may suit regular travellers. Worth doing the sums.

Triton 420GT and Kia Sportage 2.0 Diesel.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:50 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

We also have Nationwide Flex Plus). Haven't used the breakdown cover ourselves but our daughter who is using one of our registered cars, has had 3 punctures needing to be recovered and now a clutch failure needing a 150 mile recovery. Haven't had any comback/refusal of service (so far), so quite happy with this service.

The latest problem happened in road works on the M4. Apparently if this happens, you have to have the free recovery to the "safe place" before getting your own recovery arranged. This extended the overall time to about 5 hours but all well in the end.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:54 pm
by granddadgrape | 1.556 Posts

We use Mayday ( Green Flag ) in the UK and Red Pennant when on the continent. Both have given us excellent service when we have broken down.

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420

Last edited Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:35 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

As granddadgrape above.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:32 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

I use Mayday, it's Green flag but through the caravan club with bells and whistles, I would assume you can get breakdown cheaper however it's the cover that counts. I had an issue with my 2012 Familia, when I got to site I noticed that the breaks were red hot, I called Mayday and they came out to have a look at the van, unfortunately he didn't have a one shot wheel nut and couldn't fix them. It wasn't a problem he said if I couldn't get it fixed by the end of the holiday it wouldn't be an issue, I was to just ring up the call centre again and he would put my van on the back of a flatbed and take it home. Now a normal breakdown cover would not cover that situation as I was on-site and it was the van and not the car which required the call out.
Another breakdown was my classic car MGB Roadster which is 47 years old. when It broke down Mayday came to my rescue and the age of the car did not matter, look at your small print some breakdowns exempt cars of a certain age. With my membership I am covered for both my cars/caravan and if I am a passenger in somebody else's car, my wife also has the same cover. Trying to find the cheapest cover is not always the best way forward as with both of my situations I would not have been covered by the big breakdown companies..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0