Electric Tow Cars

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 am
by Randa france | 12.861 Posts

I thought forum folk might be interested in a converstaion currently taking place between Eribafolk Facebook Members Louis Devitt (Cornwall) and Nils-Hendrik Henningstad (Norway) about Nils' experience of towing an Eriba with an electric car.

Nils Henrik Henningstad.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Louis Devitt:-
What’s it like towing with an electric car? Presumably masses of instant low down torque for pulling away easily?Better than all these people with their 1 litre petrol cars pulling Trolls and the like.

Nils-Henrik Henningstad :-
I dont even notice its there 😁(except range of course). With the big battery you can go 300kms per charge with the Eriba. We are going to travel across Europe in August, putting it to the test 😎

Louis Devitt:-
Good luck. That will be a good test. Is it possible to charge the car at campsites at night? We are just back from a 4,300 km round trip to Austria (from the west of uk) which used around 500 euros of diesel. No worries about range as long as you can work out how to use those automated French petrol stations🤫

Nils-Henrik Henningstad:-
I think it would be possible to charge at the campsites, but it is not necessary. There are superchargers everywhere, and you can charge for free at Tesla's own chargers.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/supercharger

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:06 am | Scroll up

RE: Electric Tow Cars

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:32 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Just checking my locality and it seems if you have a Tesla you have to live on a motorway. Nearest Superchargers are either Keele MSA's, a round trip of 15 miles, or an MSA near Warrington or Telford.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:36 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

You can charge at home though !

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:37 am

An interesting article in Carbuyer.co.uk :-

Why can’t many electric cars tow a trailer?
Electric vehicles are currently the most limited when it comes to towing, particularly if you’re after a supermini or hatchback. When every car is designed and engineered, the manufacturer works out exactly how much it can tow and establishes a legal towing limit in a process known as homologation. For customers who want to tow, the two figures that matter most are the maximum weight limits for towing an unbraked trailer and a braked trailer. If a car doesn’t have these figures published, it usually means the manufacturer deems it unsuited to towing – and this is the case with most electric cars.

There are a few reasons why. Firstly, the battery pack fitted in an electric car is very heavy. As an example, while a 1.2-litre petrol Renault Clio supermini can weigh as little as 977kg, the all-electric Renault ZOE supermini weighs 1,468kg, with the battery pack coming in at 305kg alone. With this much weight on board, there’s less capacity to deal with the extra weight of a trailer, which could put too much strain on components like the brakes.

A second reason often cited by manufacturers is that towing could damage the electric powertrain itself. While the instant torque and impressive power of electric motor can be ideal for accelerating with a trailer, the main issue comes when slowing down. Unlike a conventional internal combustion engine, electric motors can instantly switch to become generators as you come off the accelerator pedal, converting kinetic energy into extra charge for the batteries and slowing the vehicle down. Towing a heavy trailer down a steep hill will provide lots more kinetic energy than normal, which could overwhelm the electrical system.

Lastly, many manufacturers don’t put electric models through the homologation process for towing, because the extra effort of towing a trailer can dramatically reduce the maximum driving range. As most EV manufacturers are already struggling to combat the stigma of ‘range anxiety’, the possibility that towing could leave drivers stranded is a big risk.

Electric models that can tow
The only electric car on sale today that’s approved for towing is the Tesla Model X SUV. Not only can it tow, but its maximum towing limit is a substantial 2,270kg – easily high enough to haul a large caravan or trailer. Just be aware you’ll need to have passed your driving test before 1997 or have taken an extra car-and-trailer driving test if the combined weight of the Model X (weighing 2,439kg itself) and trailer comes in at more than 3,500kg.

Once you plug a trailer’s electrics into a Model X, it enters ‘trailer mode’, disabling many of its driver-assistance features like automatic steering and parking, active cruise control and the rear parking sensors. The Model X also activates Trailer Sway Mitigation, where automatic braking of the vehicle’s individual wheels can prevent a trailer from swaying dangerously behind you.

But the Model X starts from around £78,000, a “distinctly premium price point, making it challenging for early adopters to buy them”, according to Martin Spencer, technical manager for the Caravan and Motorhome Club.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
and Eribacamper like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm
by swa49 (deleted)

Think I'd rather spend 500 Euros on diesel once a year when we tour in Europe. There's something very reassuring about a torquey diesel. I'm a great supporter of cleaner fuels for the future, but £78K for the privilege.........doesn't seem like much of a privilege!

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:15 pm

And whilst I think the Tesla chargepoints on the motorway are free, at present, the electricity used charging at home will cost you and there's no way site owners will subsidise your travel by allowing free charging. Also imagine the costs for even a CL to be fitted out with appropriately robust charging points. For a big site an even larger cost.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.452 Posts

It's a nice idea, just a little more thought needs to go into it (or a lot more money into my bank account).

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #7
It's a nice idea, just a little more thought needs to go into it (or a lot more money into my bank account).

And Julie, if you remember, because of the drawbacks of towing with a battery operated motor, bang goes the idea of buying one electric bicycle and towing the other pedal cyclist home.

Randa

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Drat, foiled again

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:31 am
by nils-he (deleted)

Hi! It's me with the Tesla, finally registered on the forum :) I though i'd chime in with and extended point of view (footnote: I've been driving electric cars since 2009, so I am quite biased). Car taxes and tolls are very high in Norway, and electric cars are (until further) excempt from road tolls. For those of you that has traveled our beautiful country, you may have noticed we have many - and expensive - road tolls. So in the everyday life, commuting to Oslo, an electric car probably saves us £400 a month in diesel and road toll.

It's much more torquey then our previous BMW X6 3.0D (and by that i mean a LOT), it could probably still do 0-100 with the Eriba hanging on the back in less than 5 seconds. We landed on an Eriba as first-time caravaners, because of its streamlined design and low aerodynamic resistance. The range with the Eriba is almost 300kms pr. charge, comparing to an "ordinary" and heavy 6-7m long caravan which probably wont get you more than 200-220kms.

And while most of you probably think stopping for charging is a pain, we have small children so a pause every 2-4 hours is often nessecary. But if the purpose is to drive as many miles as possible in the shortest time, you will probably get there with a diesel first :) Allthough I managed to go 1500kms, Oslo-Denmark-Oslo to pick up the Eriba in just under 24 hours, so its not -that- slow

Although when pulling my father-in-laws rally car, a volvo 240 which gives the trailer a weight of 2300kgs, you really see the electrons flying by.

Randa france, granddadgrape, and like this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:33 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 am

Mmm, to save £400 a month in the UK you'd have to have free electricity and be doing about 32,000 miles a year. £4,800/£6=800 gals*40mpg= 32,000 miles.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Last edited Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:02 am
by granddadgrape | 1.554 Posts

Love your father-in-laws car trailer. Could have done with that when I had my Caterham R400.

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 pm

to the forum Nils-he.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:52 pm

https://www.facebook.com/DailyMailAust/v...Q1NjAxNjI4NTE2/

But will it tow an Eriba?

Randa

Last edited Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:39 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:45 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

If it would then I'd like it. VW was playing with this idea back in 2009 I think.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 67 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105579 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2