RE: Electric Tow Cars

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 am
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Unless of course, after more research, they discover that electrically propelled cars are bad for the planet

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:35 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

It will certainly be interesting to see how this develops over the next 10 years or so. Although people would still be able to drive 2nd hand petrol/diesel/hybrid vehicles for quite a while, how long before fuel stations give up selling those fuels as they become less profitable? I suspect that no-one will be buying new traditional engined cars with their own money after 2030, and the cost of leasing will probably skyrocket as the residual value plummets.

Interesting that my local Tesco across the road has 4 free to use charging points. How long will that last?

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:47 am
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

The problem is far worse. Most homes have 2 cars.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:53 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

And you also need a charging point suitable with space for an attached trailer

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:05 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Charging points en route is one issue. However home charging is potentially a larger problem.

If like us, you live in a terraced house with no driveway or garage, as is very common in London or any large city, there would need to charging points outside every house to prevent charging cables covering the pavement and road. Frankly I can't see our local authority being able to set up that kind of infrastructure, even with a 15 year time frame!

I suspect that the current electric vehicles will be an interim solution and more practical options will need to be sought. Hydrogen? Plug in electric vehicles may become the betamax of the future.

Ralph

Randa france and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:43 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

The best proposal I have heard of is to set up charging points on lamp posts. Hydrogen (fuel cells) would be great but at present there are only about 16 places you can fill up in the whole of the UK. A hydrogen filling setup is currently around £100K so seems unlikely that these will be the answer any time soon.
Apparently there is one in Birmingham, one in Coventry, and the rest are in the London area.

Ralph79 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:28 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Lamp posts are a good idea, however they are fairly widely spaced and may not resolve the cable issue. Parking round my way is already tight....I can foresee some interesting neighbour disputes in the battles for prime charging spots!

I admit that my understanding of the difficulties around creating a network of hydrogen filling stations is very limited, but I have a friend who works in the green energy sector who is convinced hydrogen is the way to go. The current costs may be prohibitive, but then I suppose that all new technology is expensive until there is investment/demand/supply and competition to bring the prices down. ....it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Last edited Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:29 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:42 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.454 Posts

Can’t see lamp posts working on terraced streets, not enough lights for the number of properties and cables everywhere will be a real hazard. Seems to me that those in the know have a bit more thinking to do before they make us all go electric.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Ralph79 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:13 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

They have 15 or so years though. After all look what has been achieved in 3 years since the brexit vote.... err.....

Randa france, Ralph79 and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:43 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

I shouldn't worry about trailing leads across pavements, unless the powers that be get a move on and start construction of new power stations NOW, there won't be enough power to charge any electric vehicles. The current staions in build now or, with imminent starts will only just be ready in time to cover the existing Nuclear stations due to close in the next few years. There will need to be at least three more Hinkley point C stations built just to cater for current predicted demand growth, before factoring in vehicle charging.
Don't forget too that charging costs will rocket. Current costs are based on using cheaper off peak power but if all IC engined vehicles are replaced with batteries there won't BE an off peak period to be cheaper. And then the planners are relying on you charging your car when there is a generation surplus and then leaving it plugged in to feed back into the grid when they want the power, how will we ever get to drive it?
The government, civll service and environmetal lobbyists need to get a few Electrical Engineers on their teams and LISTEN to them.
Then they will have some challenging decisions to make.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:39 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

I'm still to be convinced electric is any better or the correct answer. I changed to diesel on the advice of the government...

How many ended up with a Sony LaserDisc, a Betamax recorder or a Video8 camcorder? Whilst all this sorts itself out much will be built and end up on the scrapheap.

Our neighbourhood has 2 charging points. Apart from all the residents, they are to cater to over 1M commuters who use the local railway station each year, many park in the local streets having commuted into the edge of London. Maybe they will develop overhead charging like trams or under road smart charging like some phones. Until the format war has been won or lost anything we buy will not have a shelf life of more than a couple of years.

Here's the newest Eriba that might solve the towing issue...

The Futures Bright.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

1997 Puck pushing a 1970 Morris Minor Traveller, sometimes a Pug 3008
mr_underhill and eribanaut like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

I bet you've got an 8 track in the Mogi dash.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:45 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #31
Unless of course, after more research, they discover that electrically propelled cars are bad for the planet
Randa

Personally I think Hydrogen is the way forward, a lot of this carbon free data is very conflicting, you will have to also put in the moral values as well.
This is from Anmesty international, so much for been good for the environment...

"On 21 March 2019, Amnesty International launched its ethical batteries campaign, challenging leaders in the electric vehicle industry to produce the world's first completely ethical battery, free of human rights abuses within its supply chain, within five years. The organization highlights that electric vehicle batteries currently rely on key minerals - in particular cobalt and lithium - linked to human rights abuses including child labour in the Democratic Republic of Congo, environmental pollution, ecosystem destruction and indigenous rights violations. The organization also highlights the high carbon footprint of battery manufacturing and the need for responsible battery waste disposal."

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

eribanaut, Big Al and Ralph79 like this post!
Last edited Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:46 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:10 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Music in Matilda? You're having a laugh, can't hear yourself think when driving...

Mind you if I send her to this guy she may run quieter. https://londonelectriccars.com

1997 Puck pushing a 1970 Morris Minor Traveller, sometimes a Pug 3008
Poptop320, Eribanut and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:32 am
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Interesting that my local Tesco across the road has 4 free to use charging points. How long will that last?

Our ASDA has 4 charging points next to the entrance. Always full with petrol/diesel cars parked there!!

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:33 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0