LED lights

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:43 pm
by maurice williams (deleted)

I am thinking of replacing my interior lights with new LED light fittings. My van has no leisure battery. It only works on mains hook up. Would I need some kind of voltage regulator to be installed or can I just swap out the lights which run on mains hook up for shiny newLED’s.

Thank you for any help.

Scroll up

RE: LED lights

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:46 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

The transformer in the BIP (the power unit) supplies the lighting circuit with 12V.

In the absence of a battery and the different electrical configuration of a power unit which is designed for 'off-grid' (autonomy) use, this output is often more than 12V (sometimes in the middle teens) and neither is it necessarily 12VDC since lights will work on either AC or DC.

Neither of these matter provided that you replace the existing lights (or the bulbs in them) with LEDs which will work off AC and DC, and which have a voltage operating range of, typically, 12 to 30V.

I've been down this road myself. Our 2008 Troll did not have the autonomy set-up from new (it was subsequently retro-fitted with a battery and the facility to charge it), and the transformer's 12V lighting circuit put out about 15VAC.

Ish.

This caused problems - mainly buzzing and flickering - when I first replaced a few of our bulbs with some tuppenny-ha'penny LEDs I had kicking about as an experiment until I realised what was going on.

Swapping those LEDs for decent ones which ran off AC as well as DC solved the problem.

Don't buy cheap ones. The likelihood is that they won't work properly, and if they do they probably won't last very long anyway.

There are loads of decent ones to choose from, but check the specifications carefully.

Amazon is a good place to start.

Randa france, , eribaMotters and eribanaut like this post!
Last edited Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:04 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:23 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I bought mine from here
Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G4-Quality-12...W8h5_d_ubAA_uEg

After 7 years they still work without any flicker [ I don't have a battery ], when you consider how much time we normally spend in the van I consider them good value.
Dave

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:23 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Like Pepe, myself and many others have swapped to led lighting, an easy job. Whilst the bulbs and extra fittings I put in were not expensive neither were they the cheapest. I found without battery and running off the standard Eriba transformer set up if using just one light I did get flicker. If I turned another on then this dissapeared. I subsequently installed a small 12v 7amp Yuasa battery in the place where the large original battery was. This smoothed out the supply and ment in the event of a night off grid or with a power cut I still had lights and water pump power.
When I did this on my 2006 Familia I seem to remember I had to do a bit of searching to ensure the diameter and length of the leds would go in my original fittings, so measure carefully as these halogen replacements used to be a mm or so bigger and this could mean the difference between fitting ot not.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:50 am
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Having a van with a battery, the only issue I had when fitting flat, penny round LEDs was that the fixing screws for the light fitting were too long and therefore fouled the new bulbs.
I had to resort to cutting the screw lengths down by about 6mm which still gave me plenty of "through".
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:14 am
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

I have a 2014 310. Will it already have LED lights fitted? The awning light looks like it is a LED. However, I am not sure about the strip light in the kitchen or the ones in the corner of the lockers.

Thanks.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:03 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I've just checked the 2014 brochure. The photos show led exterior/awning light, internal spots and top locker corner lighting but was unsure about the strip lights. Then I read this, "The soft, power-saving LED light produces a homely atmosphere." So it looks like your luck is in and everything is led

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:39 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Brilliant - thanks Colin.

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6