Still unused Eriba Troll 540GT

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 02, 2020 5:53 pm
by Stewart Page (deleted)

Hi all

We still haven’t been able to take ur new Troll 540GT out because of the lockdown, but it’s given me a chance to inspect it with a fine tooth comb. One question, the heater is a Truma S3004 as in the purchase spec and on a label in the heater itself. However, in the manual and on the Truma site it shows a fan control for warm air, but ours only has an On/Off heat setting knob on the left of the heater. I’ve taken the cover off and there is definitely no fan or any wires to a control knob for the fan. Is this the same with everyone else, or have we been supplied with parts missing?

Stewart

Scroll up

RE: Still unused Eriba Troll 540GT

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 02, 2020 6:09 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Do you have any ducting/cream coloured corrugated tube running through the floor lockers to 60mm round outlets with flaps on them. This would be for the warm air distribution. If you have this then a speed control fan switch is usually sited on the side of the wardrobe I believe.
This used to be a standard fitting in the GT package on older vans, but now you have to specify it as an extra. In the 2017 price list it was order code 60600 - "Warm air circulation" at a cost of £260.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Last edited Sat May 02, 2020 6:10 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 02, 2020 7:19 pm
by Stewart Page (deleted)

Ok, thanks. The van was a show demo, so already kitted out. I had just assumed that the fan was standard as it was shown in the manual. I’m sure we don’t need the warm air circulation, I was just concerned something was missing.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 05, 2020 2:49 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Stewart

We fell into that trap too when we got our 540GT. We assumed that because the vents were there under the seating area that we would have some system to blow hot air out through them.

On a cold November night in York I got down on my knees and fiddled with the vents to try to get some heat out whilst Kath played with the gas heater. I was perplexed until I took the end cupboard apart and found that there was nothing connected to the vents. I just assumed that it would be standard on such an expensive van.

When I contacted AL they confirmed that it had become an extra that was quite expensive. As we were totally new to caravanning we never thought to ask about it.

We didn't do anything about changing things as we tended not to use the gas heater to heat the van anyway but it is a contrast to friends with white boxes with full blown central heating. Not sure now that if I knew about it w would pay the £200+ to have it installed.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 05, 2020 6:31 pm
by thecolliss | 137 Posts

Hi,we have 540GT with Heater without warm air circulation. Absolutly fine, we did not want hot air blowing under the beds also the ducting takes up storage space.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 05, 2020 7:25 pm
by Deraldos Maisonblanc (deleted)

Similar situation to ourselves. Took delivery of our troll in November and managed just a local w/e trip and its been in the drive since. Ive been merrily tinkering to familiarise & prepare for our next trip which will be off grid when restrictions are eased/lifted. We have the dual fuel gas/240 v on our Truma heater and water boiler. The most confusing thing was trying to work out how the water system worked, as we have an external pump with a 40ltr barrel and a 20ltr internal tank with its own pump. After two days of tinkering with the electrics the Eureka moment arrived! The switch next to the external pump operates the internal pump so I now know how to select the option of using either tank. Next up is putting a solar panel on the roof. I'm following the excellent guidance provided by Graeme HH. Just waiting on the twin cable gland to arrive from Singapore... (I didn't read the small print when I ordered it on Ebay so Ive now ordered one from a local supplier - which going forward I will be doing - buying local). I then need to put some 12v sockets in and now looking to source some matching sockets - the chrome CBE type. I know other members have managed to find a supplier so if anyone can point me in the right direction please let me know. Tarrahrabbit.

Per Terram - 2017 530 with Skoda Superb
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 pm

I don't know if they will ship abroad, but I've used these people several times in the past and would happily do so again. https://clearcutconversions.co.uk/produc...s-and-switches/
They will do a mix and match of products to your exact requirementsand not just the set bits shown on the website , so they are well worth contacting.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 05, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi Deraldos

We ordered our 540 with the internal hot water tank with gas and electric heating. I spent ages playing around on the drive at home getting hot water and then losing it, followed by much head scratching and studying of the instructions. Not being a technical genius I didn't get very far it has to be said.

It took someone on the Forum, possibly Colin, to suggest that a non-return valve had not been fitted, allowing the hot water to be sucked back into the main cold water tank. Sure enough when I took it to ALV in Tebay for its first service this was the fault and they fitted one under warranty. Problem solved.

it was a bit wierd as not having any hot water for the first season persuaded me that we didn't really need hot water anyway. I proceeded to suggest to a number of people on the Forum not to bother with hot water when they ordered a new Eriba only to be gently assailed by members who couldn't live without it. However since then Kath has instructed me that I was wrong all along and we now have hot water every trip!

Your modifications to your Troll sound interesting and should give you extra freedom & luxury.

Enjoy
MikeT

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 05, 2020 9:08 pm

It was the other Colin, not me. And I love my hot water.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 05, 2020 11:14 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I don't have plumbed in hot water, however I use a thermal kettle which is low wattage and gives me 3.5 litres of boiling water when I want it. They do a 5 litre version but that will be a bit high if you have an end kitchen.

https://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/neostar-p...m-water-boiler/

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
FINNWOODY likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 06, 2020 11:00 am

Thanks Colin,

I shall have a closer look at them.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 06, 2020 11:04 am

Hi mike,

Yes I did a lot of head scratching too & looks like you have suffered worse than me, but at least you have it sorted now and can enjoy unashamed luxury of hot water every trip.

Take it easy.

Derek

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 06, 2020 3:03 pm

Sorry Colin - only vague recollection as it was two years ago!

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:25 am
by Wingfield (deleted)

Very grateful for the solution to the mystery of why the internal tank's pump doesn't get triggered (and therefore run dry) while you are using the external pump and barrel. As well as isolating the internal pump, the switch in the inlet panel grouping may also trigger the external pump if that is connected so you can use the output hose to fill flush tank (or the internal tank). This was in fact the only function I was told about on taking delivery.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0