Opinions on Carver 1800s pleases

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 21, 2020 6:51 pm
by One Eyed Steve (deleted)

Hi guys. We bought our new-to-us Puck just before Christmas 2019. Parked it in the drive, covered it up and there it has stood ever since. Wet weather, floods and a pandemic put paid to all our plans.

Mustn’t grumble, I caught Covic19 and spent 8 days in intensive care and caught bilateral pneumonia to boot. For an old, fat, asthmatic it could have killed me so I am grateful to have things like the caravan to worry about.

We plan to use the little van all year around as we do Viking re-enactment, I decided to purchase a Carver 1800s from FleaBay and finally fitted it last week. Lock down and working from home has its advantages. Please don’t panic, I am an agricultural engineer with C&G qualifications and lecture on health and safety, so think I know how to install a calor gas heater without blowing myself up.

Anyway, having placed sandbags around the caravan, put blast tape on the house windows and made the wife and dog duck in their foxhole, I lit the heater. It worked perfectly first click. Plenty of heat, no funny smells and the CO meter detected nothing.

BUT, the base of the heater got hot after 20 minutes, With the pressed steel cover removed I could not keep my hand on it. Is this normal? There is no carpet under the heater but I did leave the original vinyl floor covering in place under the heater. I am maybe being over cautious, but I am not sure how hot the base should get. Have had similar heaters in other caravans over the years but never removed the cover and felt the temperature of the base.

Any help or observations very welcome.

Steve

Scroll up

RE: Opinions on Carver 1800s pleases

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 21, 2020 7:08 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Hi Steve and thanks for hanging on in there. Stay safe.

Personally never experienced the Carver 1800 but here's a bit about them on caravan Talk:- https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/...-carver-1800-s/

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 21, 2020 7:23 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Well done on the installation, but more importantly on getting out of your predicament with a pulse.
I'm guessing you are requiring some sort of heat barrier. I think you will find in difficult to get better than the waterproof cement board used in shower areas and used as a fireboard when installing wood burners. HardieBacker board from Topps Tiles https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/fixing-fini...ackerboard-12mm is a fantastic product but a sod to cut. Don't believe the instructions, it is best cut with a small stone or diamond dust blade disc cutter.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Thanks Randa France, read that with interest. I am very conscious of the risks of Propane. For twenty years I owned a sailing boat and the horror stories of gas collecting in the bilges until one day the whole boat blows up. A similar boat to mine did just that in Scotland, if I remember correctly a family of four were killed outright. In a caravan I suspect fire is a bigger risk (Plenty of holes for heavier than air gas to escape) , hence my concern about the temperature of the heater base

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Thank you. Good idea, a thermal barrier, just the job. Probably overkill but think that’s the way to go maybe.

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6