towcar, Rifter, Berlingo

in We've got it down to a T Fri May 29, 2020 9:56 am
by monoboard | 350 Posts

Just wondered if anyone has used a Peugeot Rifter or latest shape Berlingo people carrier as a tow car, obviously it would tow a 320 but there's towing & towing!. The best engine it seems in the new shape is the 1.5 diesel 130bhp or the other possible option would be to find a mint low mileage mk2 version if that possibly came in the 1.9 diesel, its not just about the bhp it's the low down torque. I will have to check when they swapped from the 1.9 version & again how many different bhp versions they did

Scroll up

RE: towcar, Rifter, Berlingo

in We've got it down to a T Fri May 29, 2020 10:06 am
by eribaMotters | 5.300 Posts

Great review on the car. I just checked whatcar website and torque peaks at 1750rpm, so fairly low down. If you are used to driving older diesels I think you will notice a difference. We had similar bhp and torque figures on a 2004 disel Touran and 2014 Yeti, but they were like chalk and cheese. Later diesels seem to have narrower power bands and less low down grunt. You have to use the gears.
I've swapped to a 1.5 petrol and I find with the same torque as my previous diesel. it is more flexible. mpg is very similar to my suprise and joy.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri May 29, 2020 11:22 am
by monoboard | 350 Posts

At present i'm using a 02 golf est, its the 1.9tdi 130bhp with a six speed box but i wouldnt really want any less not for doing hill starts. Just noticed on the Rifter spec it lists 74kg nose weight limit & on the Eriba website for the 320 it lists 100kg nose weight limit. yes you can put things at the back of the caravan but thats not ideal as it can see saw. i have the Thule smart bike rack on the front fitted by the dealers when i bought it & i mentioned it to them at the time about nose weight. I wouldn't like to put two conventional 6kg gas bottles in the locker + 2 bikes.

Last edited Fri May 29, 2020 11:34 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri May 29, 2020 10:13 pm
by Paul Godfrey (deleted)

We have a 2019 Berlingo petrol. Have only towed Dandy trailer tent with it so far [hoping to change to caravan but perhaps not this year now]. Very nice vehicle to drive 110 bhp 1200 turbo.
You will find the Rifter is more expensive than Citroen for much the same spec. The Feel seemed to be best value unless you want a lot more bells and whistles but there is enough on the basic one anyway. Central touch screen not much use a shame it wasn't used for more mileage info etc but this is still om the smaller speedo screen.

Bertie Berlingo [2019] pulling Dandy Dart at moment.
monoboard and Steve and Debbie like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun May 31, 2020 1:49 pm
by Bryn | 992 Posts

I changed from a Berlingo and as they didnt make the mk2 after 2008 I opted for a 1.6 tdi Skoda Octavia Estate, tows our 320 like a dream

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:58 am
by monoboard | 350 Posts

The trouble is I would prefer a ( the term I think they use) van derived car out practicality. I want to be able to put bikes in & out upright reasonably quickly, be able to chuck a couple of sleeping bags in. General outdoor sports stuff etc

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:49 am
by eribaMotters | 5.300 Posts

Would it be worth looking at the Ford Torneo Kombi or VW Caddy Kombi?

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:06 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

I did demo a transit connect & a possibility but preferred the drive of the Rifter & higher seating position. I don’t fancy buying another vag group car when I see vw transporters having new engines at 60,000 miles. Audi SQ5’s needing new auto gearbox at 60,000 miles. The list goes on. Golf est 2002 with 130bhp tdi (best engine vw ever made) which they used in various models of vw & Audi,s. The new stuff😱 great till it goes wrong regularly & costs a fortune. It seems a lot of modern cars are made to last a lease/warranty out!! Not sure if the newer french stuff is any better but it can’t be worse. The problem with all the modern vechicles is towing capacity, I’d rather have a good quality 1.9 turbo diesel with some low down torque than smaller petrol engine. Rant over. Unfortunately even the Berlingo has gone from 1.9 diesel to a little 1.5 now or a 1.2 petrol

Last edited Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:17 am | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12516 topics and 105599 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3