Removing Skoda Karoq (or Yeti) Varioflex seating for towing

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:50 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Bit of a question for more technically minded amongst us re removing Skoda Varioflex rear seating in Skoda Karoq (or Yeti)

For first three years of Troll ownership we towed with an Octavia Scout and it was brilliant. However in October we swapped for a Karoq Scout for a number of reasons. one was the Octavia Estate had a totally massive boot and we reasoned that for day to day we didn't need anything so large. Plus I am a bit untidy so it ended up with all sorts of things cluttering it up.

The Karoq has the Varioflex back seats like some Yeti's and we reasoned that when we needed extra space in the boot we could play with them or even take them out when we towed the Troll.

Yesterday was the first time I needed to play as I had to collect some fencing rails from the woodyard. Embarrassingly I realised that in the 6 months of ownership I hadn't bothered to play with them at all, since the salesman showed me how to do it. I only sorted it by getting Kath to get on YouTube. This led to an afternoon of playing with the seats and eventually taking them out.

i was really shocked at how heavy the seats were. I went for a quick drive and the car felt a bit skittish and light. So here is the technical question - with the seats taken out of the car does it make it almost too light to tow the Troll? The original idea was that we would use the released space for putting extra luggage in. But it is likely that the only really heavy thing might be the awning - things would probably be more bulky than heavy, such as coats.

For stability sake would I be better leaving the seats in and just folding them up when towing?

Has anyone who has towed with a Karoq or Yeti with the varioflex had any experience that might shed some light on this for me? Any views gratefully received.

MikeT

Scroll up

RE: Removing Skoda Karoq (or Yeti) Varioflex seating for towing

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:43 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I had a Karoq for two years and only ever folded the seats. To take them out is a right faff. I was able to carry the awning and its accessories (inner tent, carpet etc.), waste tank, trolley jack, pegs, leveller, wheel lock, etc with room to spare. For my previous Triton I also included an aqua roll.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Mercedes GLA 220d 4Matic
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I towed with a Yeti for 4 summers and always took the seats out for our long summer holidays in France.. The seats weigh about 20kg each I think, so the combined weight of a teenager. You are not compromising stability by taking them out. If you do not need them then take them out as the Yeti boot is not really all that large.
I used to fit a fridge and freezer in the boot area along with clothes maidens. Across the now huge rear area went 3 stacker boxes of food and shoes, large awning and sun canopy, 2 tables, satlite dish, TV, etc. In the footwell and the space immediately behind the front seats went an embarrasing number of wine boxes on the return run.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks Stewart
That's useful to know
MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks Colin
The area in the Karoq with the seats out is big something like 1800, with the seats folded up its about 1500.

I'm stunned at how much you got in the Yeti - the boot always looked tiny compared to the Octavia estate. Its good to hear that your Yeti was still stable with the seats out. Were you towing a Triton or a Troll?

The other bit is that we won't take the seats out for out week long trips in the UK but are seriously thinking of taking them out if we go on a long trip to the Continent.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:23 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Mike, we have a 1200kg Triton. The space you have is greater than the Yeti which with spare wheel was 322 boot, 1485 seats down, 1665 seats removed.
The 322 was small, our Audi A3 has 380 boot, but loses out at 1220 seats down. For every day it is roomier, but not for camping.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:12 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 59 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1