Does the Isabella Shadow side netting keep rain out?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:57 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Just had a discussion with Kath about my desire for her to have a go at doing our own side awning for the Isabella Shadow Sun Canopy rather like Randa's. Her enthusiasm has somewhat dimmed after her sewing machine played up big style whilst she was making us some face masks.

Her new line of defence is that, although, the Isabella side netting is very expensive, it is very stylish, matches the Eriba & would be better than she could do and I'm not sure of the answer to give her which wouldn't elicit a response from her including the word "cheapskate"...........................

Can I ask people who have owned a side net just how good they are at keeping out any rain..........does it keep drizzle out but then let heavy rain come through the net in a kind of spray?

Any constructive comments welcomed

MikeT

Scroll up

RE: Does the Isabella Shadow side netting keep rain out?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:23 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Mike,
all I can say with confidence is it will not fit as it's too tall. What I can add with not so much confidence is support your view In that I think it will filter heavy rain into a mist/spray. I'd buy the lovely wife a new machine, I'm told the Janome 7025 was a must have and persuaded one would be a great idea. I succumbed.
You could always get a windbreak, or a Sunncamp Swift to use in rainy weather and keep the Isabella for sunny times.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:20 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:35 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Or you could always buy or liberate a very large flag and 3 bulldog clips Mike.

IMG_8399.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
SOULBLUESMAN68 and marmite like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

P1020302 (2).JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Or you can,like Randa and I, make your own, in our case all one piece.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Randa france, SOULBLUESMAN68 and marmite like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks Colin, Randa & Dave for your prompt responses.

I didn't realise that the side net was too tall anyway for our Eribas - this in itself changes the whole game.

I read your responses last night but didn't broach Kath until this morning. I waited until she had started to slowly come round in bed this morning, knowing she would be in a good mood as we are due to see the grandchildren to go for a walk.

She took the height thing from Colin with a philosophical "oh well". However his suggestion of a new sewing machine drew a mild expletive (this from a good Methodist girl) Rand's suggestion of bullclips and a flag drew some incomprehensible mutterings. However the worst response came when I informed her that Dave's solution was to construct their own one piece canopy........

At that time the rain started lashing against the bedroom window signifying that her much anticipated walk with the grandchildren might not take place, and her mood darkened........I thought it best to change the subject and offered to make breakfast..........

However this afternoon we will be watching Blackburn Rovers hopefully thrash our local rivals Wigan on the TV followed by an Italian takeaway delivered as the match ends. At this stage I will re-broach the subject of the side net and show her your photos......I am a born optimist.

Thanks for your help
MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:21 pm

https://www.esvocampingshop.com/en/tent-...reststukken-en/

They sell all the bits you need and very quick service.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:43 pm

thanks Dave

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Daft idea here. Buy a 2nd hand 5m Isabella and cut a snip through awning cord 2m in from each end. Dont feed this 2m length into the awning channel but use it as a drop end panel, either end. You would need to punch a two new eyelets in the front but this might work.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:17 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:52 pm

Cheers Colin

Have an eyelet punch so that not a problem. Will have a word with Kath yet again........................

Further to my previous email re Kath and side cover. Despite Rovers being mugged by Wigan 2-0, the Italian take away being very late on Saturday due to someone forgetting to order it online, and her sewing machine misbehaving for her whilst making me yet another mask for the one I lost she was quite receptive when she looked at the photos posted by Randa & Dave.

Optimism will prevail...............................
MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 am

To help with the thinking process, we would say this.

We admired Dave and Bunny's one piece awning set up when we first met up with them in Southern Spain way back in 2015. At that time we were using an adaptation of a Coleman tent fly sheet, a discussion for which has recently taken place on here.

We were more or less forced to purchase an Isabella when our Coleman ripped on an outward journey to Norway. So the eventual additon of a seperate side wall came about because of these circumstances.

However, and I'm sure Dave and Bunny will give a counter argument, when we set about designing the side wall, we ensured that it DIDN'T fix directly to the Isabella roof. It is a completely seperate entity for two reasons.

1) It can be fixed up and taken down (or partially rolled up) without disturbing the Isabella. In fact it's our cheap version of how the Isabella side net is designed and fitted (only better ).
2) We have seen many lightweight sun shades with fixed sides being blown about a lot if the wind intensifies. We have a gap of an inch or two between roof and side which makes the whole arrangement structurally sound but of course does allow some of the wet stuff to creep in between roof and side.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:14 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:35 pm

Thanks Randa this is really helpful.

Not sure if I have said this before but I (we) do have some experience in adding extra bits from our tenting days. We had an excellent Outwell Bear Lake 4 frame tent which was great. However when it first came out it had a very small sun canopy at the front, which rain used to blow under and through & soak me when I was cooking. I "designed" a number of solutions based on cutting up material from our first Brandt family frame tent.

I was happy if I remained dry whatever it looked like but Kath was coming from a different place - "we have spent a fortune on this tent and you have made it look like something from a shanty town" was one of her many responses. Fortunately Outwell realised that there was a demand and produced their own stylish extension.

However my "experiments" left her scarred so that when I talked about me going down this road anew with the Isabella I think she had flashbacks to a particular garish solution I cobbled together one Whitsun at St Valery-sur-Somme which disconnected itself one wet & windy night & flew off into the distance.. However when I showed her the pictures of your side awning and Dave's one piece she realised that the solution could be stylish and fit in with the van. Also the fact that I recently found an orange flysheet off an old Vango Force 10 (?) in the loft didn't help her.

It was good to see Dave's one piece design but we will be going down your avenue with a gap for the wind at the top and bottom.

Thanks again

MikeT

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:11 pm

Before you decide though it would be interesting to hear Dave and Bunny's take on it all.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:11 pm

No counter argument Roger, every-bodies needs are different, and you can't help being wrong.

SOULBLUESMAN68 and eribaMotters like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Talk of the devil.....Our posts came at almost the same time.
I'll give you that one as I've been taught to always respect my elders
Randa

eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4